Blackpool: From the courts 19-12-17

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court
Share this article

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Monday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 18-12-17

Jamie Heap, 25, assault

A man was seen slapping his girlfriend across the face on a street in Blackpool town centre.

Jamie Heap, 25, of Seathwaite Avenue, Mereside, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to an 18-month community order with up to 30 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £50 and ordered to pay £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said on September 19, a woman was walking along Talbot Road in the early hours when she heard a man and woman arguing and the woman shouting at him to get off her.

She then saw the couple and heard Heap shouting abuse at the woman before slapping her across the face.

Heap had previous convictions for assault, threatening behaviour and harassment.

Hugh Pond, defending, said the couple had a child together and Heap’s girlfriend was pregnant by him.

They had a volatile relationship and often argued. The night of the offence they had been out together and drunk a lot.

Kevin Kersey, 40, harassment

A man called his former girlfriend vile names such as gold digger dwarf and dog in text messages he sent her.

Kevin Kersey, 40, of Loftus Avenue, Marton, pleaded guilty to harassing his ex.

He was sentenced to an eight weeks tagged curfew from 9pm to 7am and ordered to pay £150 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge.

Kersey was also sentenced to a six months restraining order which bans him from contacting his ex except through a named third party, social services or the family court in relation to child contact or from entering the resort’s Selby Avenue or the Harbour hospital.

Prosecutor, Adrian Hollamby, said between September 17 and 20, this year Kersey sent numerous abusive texts to the mother of his three children.

Probation officer Emma Naden said in a report to the court that the couple had been together 13 years.

She had two older children and the couple had three children together.

When they separated the three younger children went to live with Kersey, but he said arguments started because his ex did not transfer the child benefit over to him.

Kersey said he was emotionally driven because there was so little money coming into the household.

Bethany Buchanan, 18, burglary

A teenager has made her first appearance at court accused of breaking into her mother’s home.

Bethany Buchanan, 18, of York Street, Blackpool, pleaded not guilty to burgling an address on Trefoil Close, Thornton, and stealing US dollars and two photograph frames valued together at £630.

The offence is alleged to have taken place on August 16 this year.

Buchanan was bailed to March 23 for trial.

Thomas Ingram, 31, breach of a community order

A man told the authorities he worked as a porter at a hospital but when police went there to arrest him officers were told he had not worked there since 2006.

Thomas Ingram also said to his probation officer he was too tired from his job to do court ordered payback work on Saturdays.

Ingram, 31, of Chesterfield Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to breaching a community order.

He was sentenced to serve an extra 20 hours unpaid work for the community and ordered to pay £60 costs by Blackpool magistrates.Emma Naden, prosecuting for the probation service, said Ingram had been sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service and told to do 60 hours payback work for an offence of assault.

He missed work appointments on November 18 and 25 and did not provide evidence for the absences.

Alan Heath, 60, wounding

A man has made his first appearance at court accused of slashing his wife with a Samurai sword.

Alan Health is alleged to have cut and lacerated his wife’s arm in several places by wielding the sword.

Heath, a 60-year-old pier worker, of Bela Grove, Blackpool, is charged with wounding his wife with intent to cause her grievous bodily harm.

The offence is alleged to have taken place on December 16 at the flat the couple shared.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said the case must be heard at crown court and opposed bail for Heath.

Defence solicitor, Patrick Nelligan, said his client had indicated a not guilty plea to the offence. Heath was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on January 17.