Blackpool: From the courts 29-06-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Thursday, 28th June 2018, 5:14 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th July 2018, 6:19 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court

David Marshall, 32, assault

A Blackpool man has admitted assaulting the mother of his four children.

However 32-year-old David Marshall, of Buchanan Street, does not accept the scale of the assault as portrayed by the prosecution at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

A hearing into the facts will now be held because the account of Marshall and his victim are so far apart.

A ‘Newton’ hearing will be held on July 20 and Marshall was bailed by District Judge Jeff Brailsford until that date.

He must not try to contact his victim and must not enter Buchanan Street.

Read More

Read More
Thursday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 28/06/18

John Lyons, 39, breach of court order

A lawyer said his client had been made the subject of a ‘Draconian order’ restricting his movements.

The order was successfully applied for by Blackpool Borough Council at a hearing in Preston against 39-year-old John Lyons.

Solicitor Hugh Pond said that Lyons had no money to attend the hearing on March 5, which made virtually all of Blackpool town centre a no-go area under the terms of a Criminal Behaviour Order.

Lyons admitted breaching the order three times when he was found by council enforcement officers sat on Talbot Road, in the doorway of the Art of Learning Centre and on the steps of the Jobcentre.

His lawyer said: “My client could not contest the making of this order which was done in Preston because he had no money to get there.

“It is a Draconian order and he feels he is being targeted by council street officers.”

Lyons, of Gorton Street, was was given a 12-month community penalty and made to undertake 80 hours unpaid work.

Jordan Price, 27, drunk and disorderly

A man was arrested after behaving aggressively following his grandfather’s funeral.

Jordan Price, a 27-year-old house renovator, of Orchard Road, St Annes, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He also admitted being in breach of a suspended prison sentence order for theft and making off without paying.

Price was sentenced to do 40 hours unpaid work for the community, fined £165 with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said on June 4, at 8.45pm, police were called to a disturbance in Orchard Road.

Price, who was outside, was described as drunk and was said to have become aggressive following an argument.

Police advised him to leave the area and sober up. He failed to go and over the next 20 minutes had to be warned about his language and behaviour.

Price was arrested after trying to get back into the address on Orchard Road.

Mitch Sarangi, defending, told magistrates: “He apologises for his behaviour.”

Jacqueline Clegg, 53, drink driving

A carer on her way to work was stopped by police and found to be two-and-a-half times over the alcohol limit.

Jacqueline Clegg aroused an officer’s suspicion because she was driving too slowly and drifting across a lane in St Annes.

Clegg, 53, of Bannister Street, Lytham, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

She was disqualified from driving for 23 months, fined £330 with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £33 victim surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said on June 9 ,at 10.30am, police saw Clegg driving a Volkswagen on Clifton Drive North, St Annes, at 25mph in a 40mph zone.

A breath test showed 90 microgrammes of alcohol in her body – 35 is the limit.

Mitch Sarangi, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had been working long shifts in the run-up to the offence and the night before had had some friends round and drunk alcohol.

The court heard she had lost her accommodation following the break-up of a long-term relationship.

Gila Brown, 20, obstructing police

A woman trying to stop police arresting a man attempted to bite police officers and spit at them.

Gila Brown, 20, of Wall Street, North Shore, pleaded guilty to obstructing police.

She was given a 12-month conditional discharge and told to pay £85 costs plus a £20 victim surcharge.

Prosecutor Pam Smith said on June 2 police were trying to arrest a man in Blackpool when Brown tried to stop them.

She was shouting and swearing and becoming aggressive.

Stephen Duffy, defending, said his client had mental health issues.