Blackpool: From the courts 26-03-16

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Monday, 26th March 2018, 12:15 pm
Updated Monday, 26th March 2018, 12:20 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 23-03-18

Adam Prior, 25, and Stephanie Potter, 23, failing to ensure a child’s regular school attendance

A couple failed to attend a meeting with a pupil welfare officer about their five-year-old son’s poor attendance at school.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Adam Prior, a 25-year-old shop worker, of Ventnor Road, South Shore, and Stephanie Potter, 23, of Exchange Street, North Shore, both pleaded guilty to failing to ensure a child’s regular attendance at school.

They were each given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharges.

Lynda Bennett, prosecuting for Blackpool Council, said the case concerned the couple’s five-year-old son who was a pupil at Westminster Primary Academy.

Between August last year and January this year the boy’s attendance was 88.4 percent and he had 19 unauthorised absences.

On one occasion the pupil welfare officer went round to see why the boy had not gone back school following the holidays. Prior said his son had not attended because he had no school shoes.

On another occasion Prior said his partner Potter had left and not come back for a couple of days.

The couple also missed a meeting with the welfare officer.

The prosecutor added that the boy’s attendance at school now seemed to be back on track.

Prior told magistrates: “We had a bit of a fall out. We are improving now.”

Potter, a mother-of-three, told the court: “The relationship was not working and I asked him to leave several times. He didn’t so I did. When I left I did not know he was not capable of getting him to school.”

Aaron Sillis, 18, drink-driving

A drunken sailor was found to be over the alcohol limit when police stopped him.

Aaron Sillis, 18, of Homestead Way Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was banned from the road for 12 months, fined £312 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £31 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said police were carrying out surveillance in Fleetwood on March 2 at 2am, because there had been a spate of burglaries.

Sillis was stopped in a routine check as he drove a Vauxhall Corsa on the port’s Teviot Avenue.

A breath test showed 56 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

Defence lawyer, Patrick Nelligan, said his client, who had no previous convictions, was based in Portsmouth and had driven back for a weekend at home.

He had had some drink and made a serious error as to the amount of alcohol he had had when he decided to drive back to the family home.

Sillis told magistrates: “Getting behind the wheel of my car was the biggest regret of my life.”

His Chief Petty Officer told the court Sillis was a trustworthy and experienced engineer and if he chose to would have a good career in the Navy.

He added that the Navy would mete out its own punishment to Sillis. This could come in the form of any promotion being put on hold for six months, a fine or stoppage of leave.

Jordan Price, 27, Sophie Lloyd, 24, robbery

A couple accused of robbing a man at St Annes have made their first appearance at court.

Jordan Price, 27, of Orchard Parade, and Sophie Lloyd, 24, of East Bank Road, both of St Annes, are accused of robbing a man of his mobile phone, spectacles, scarf and baseball cap valued together at £445.

The defendants, who are alleged to have committed the robbery on November 18 last year, did not indicate pleas to the offence.

They were bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on April 18.

Jason Longstaff, 46, assault

A 46-year-old Blackpool man has denied two charges of assault.

Jason Longstaff of Collyhurst Avenue, Marton, was bailed pending his trial on June 22.

He faces two allegations of common assault and one of theft of alcohol from Asda.

Longstaff was ordered not to contact witnesses in his case and not to enter the Asda store in Marton as terms of his bail.

Kyela Lee, 29, assault

A woman has made her first appearance at court accused of slapping a Job Centre security officer round the face as he was escorting her out of the premises.

Kyela Lee, 29, of Wellington Road, South Shore, pleaded not guilty to assault.

She is also said to have caused damage amounting to £250 to the security officer’s spectacles during the incident in Tyldsley Road.

Lee had her case adjourned to June 13 for trial.