Blackpool: From the courts 22-03-17

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:52 am
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

Christopher Drewery, 28, assault

A footballer knocked out an opposing player with a single punch.

Christopher Drewery, 28, felled striker Jason Winston after threatening to put him in a coma.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Winston’s head went backward with the force of the blow and he slumped to the ground unconscious will gurgling noises coming from his throat.

The referee who put him the recovery position and cleared Winston’s airway said the player was out cold for four or five minutes.

Referee Alan McNeill said: “It was a cup tie and there had been no needle or aggro.

“I had awarded a free kick against Drewery and he had some verbals with the opposition player, Winston.

“Drewery said to Winston ‘I am going to put you in a coma’. and he did.

“Then I saw Winston running and suddenly his head went back under the force of a punch. It was brutal.

“ I have been a ref for many years and in many leagues but I have never seen anything like this.

“The lad was completely knocked out.”

A league official who was watching the tie between Drewery’s side AFC Bispham and Pathetico Madrid called an ambulance.

Winston had nine stitches in his chin and treatment to head and nose injuries. Drewery of Sidford Court, Blackpool, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm when he appeared before magistrates.

The court heard the game was being played at Stanley Park and after Drewery landed his blow he walked off the pitch, collected his clothes and went home.

In court Drewery who defended himself maintained he thought Winston was running towards him with his fists clenched and felt threatened.

He was ordered to do 120 hours unpaid work for the community.

Karl Robinson, 21, assault

A former soldier chased after a police officer who was pursuing a man and punched the officer on the chin.

Karl Robinson was then put in a bear-hug by a bouncer but when police came to arrest him he struggled so violently he had to be pepper-sprayed.

Robinson, 21, formerly of Barton Avenue, Knott End, now living at Buchanan Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was fined £40 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £50 compensation by magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said in the early hours of October 11, police were dealing with a disturbance on Queen Street.

An officer was chasing a man and Robinson chased after the policeman shouting “get away from him”. The officer grabbed Robinson by the collar and the defendant punched out catching him on the chin and upper chest.

When interviewed Robinson said he had been drinking pints, vodka and liqueurs and that he may have clipped the PC while struggling. He was given a caution on the condition he paid £50 compensation but he did not do so.

Peter Cave, defending, said Robinson had shown genuine remorse and when interviewed he apologised to the officer. He was not totally aware of what had happened that night as he had drunk more alcohol than was good for him. Robinson, who intended rejoining the Army, had lost his girlfriend and his job at a shop as a result of the offence.

Matthew Turner, 27, criminal damage

A man has made his first appearance at court and pleaded not guilty to causing damage amounting to £200 to a window at his father’s home.

Matthew Turner, 27, of Salthouse Avenue, Blackpool, was bailed to April 19 for trial by magistrates.

Darren Fisher, 41, assault

A Blackpool man has denied assaulting a woman.

Darren Fisher, 41, of Hornby Road is accused of assaulting Julie Carr on February 27. Magistrates bailed Fisher until his trial on May 2 on condition he has no contact with his alleged victim.

Lawrence Kinahan, 19, breach of bail

A man breached his bail by threatening a witness in a court case.

Lawrence Kinahan, of Progress Court, Grange Park, denied the breach but magistrates found the case against him proved.

The 19-year-old was re-bailed and warned about his conduct.

Kevin McGown, 50, theft

A man has admitted stealing meat valued at £150 in three shoplifting crimes.

Kevin Mc Gowan, 50, has 110 previous convictions for similar offences, magistrates were told.

McGowan admitted stealing from ASDA twice and a third theft from Iceland.

The court ordered pre sentence reports on McGowan from Pleasant Street, North Shore.

Teejay Hodgkinson, 20, drink-driving, taking a car without consent, no insurance, no licence

A Poulton man was drunk when he took his mother’s car to buy alcohol.

Teejay Hodgkinson drove to an all-night garage after spending the day drinking at a birthday party.

Hodgkinson, 20, of Lawnswood Avenue, Poulton admitted being twice over the drink drive limit.

He pleaded guilty taking his mother’s Ford Galaxy without her permission, driving without insurance and without a licence.

Magistrates heard how police spotted the car because he had failed to put the headlights on.

When the driver was on the garage forecourt police talking to Hodgkinson and realised he had been drinking.

The court ordered pre sentence reports.