Blackpool: From the courts 14-03-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 13th March 2018, 2:36 pm
Updated Tuesday, 13th March 2018, 3:40 pm
Blackpool magistrates court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 13-03-18

Kalvin Bennett, 18, criminal damage

A grandson repeatedly vandalised property belonging to his family causing £1,400 worth of damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Kalvin Bennett, who lived in a van on his grandparents driveway, damaged CCTV cameras, a phone line, garage roof and car wing mirror belonging to his grandparents and tyres on his sister’s car.

Bennett, 18, of Moore Street, South Shore, pleaded guilty to three offences of causing damage.

He was sentenced to 11 weeks jail, suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work for the community and told to pay £500 compensation.

Presiding magistrate, Nora Sopworth, told him: “Your grandparents must be reaching the end of their tether with you now.

“You have breached your family’s trust.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the defendant’s grandfather, Kenneth Ord, saw his grandson in the front room of his home in Carterville Close, Marton, on January 3, and asked him to leave.

Bennett replied: “You’ll be sorry,” and it was later found he punctured three tyres on his sister’s car.

The next day Bennett asked if he could go into the address to iron something.

When this was refused Bennett hit one of his grandparents’ CCTV cameras, battered another with a golf club, then used the club to smash a hole in the garage roof.

On March 8, while on bail with a condition not to go to his grandparents home, he went there and cut the phone line before damaging his grandfather’s car wing mirror with a brick.

Nicola Lord, 41, theft

A woman injured in a stabbing attack was still too ill to attend court magistrates were told.

Nicola Lord had been discharged from hospital but was still immobile the court heard.

Lord, a 41-year-old mother, of Lytham Road, South Shore, should have been attending the first hearing of the case against her alleging that she stole whisky brandy and razor blades totalling £215 from Morrisons, Amy Johnson Way.

Defence lawyer, Brett Chappell, said his client was recovering from the stabbing attack but was not fit to attend court.

Lord’s case was adjourned by Blackpool magistrates.

Anthony Saleem, 48, criminal damage

A tenant smashed windows at a neighbour’s flat with ornamental pottery cats after drinking wine, cider and brandy.

Anthony Saleem said he was angry because he had lent the neighbour money and he had not paid it back.

Saleem, 48, of Clifford Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to causing damage.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a six weeks tagged curfew from 8pm to 7am, had his suspended prison sentence extended up to 18 months and ordered to pay £400 compensation plus £85 costs with £85 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a neighbour heard Saleem shouting and kicking at his flat door on March 11 at 1.30am.

The neighbour did not respond and he then heard Saleem playing loud music.

Minutes later there was a smashing noise and the neighbour found two of his lounge windows had been broken.

When interviewed Saleem told police he was totally guilty and the victim had been exploited by other people and he had helped him.

At the time of the offence he was on a suspended prison sentence for disqualified driving.

Sarah Smith, 35, breach of the peace

The husband of an air hostess called police to their home saying his wife was out of control.

Sarah Smith was said to have drunk three bottles of wine and been throwing items around the address.

Smith, a 35-year-old mother-of-three, of Pilling Lane, Preesall, pleaded guilty to breach of the peace.

She was bound over in the sum of £300 for 12 months.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the defendant’s husband, Roger, called police to their home on March 11 at 8.30pm and when an officer arrived he recognised him and said: “It’s like last time. She’s out of control.”

Smith was said to have drunk three bottles of wine and been throwing items around.

There was glass all over the floor which was wet.

She said she had done nothing wrong and when police said she would have to leave the address she repeatedly refused.

Smith apologised and told magistrates she had not drunk three bottles of wine.