Blackpool: From the courts 13/12/16

Here is a round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Tuesday, 13th December 2016, 6:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 1:49 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Victoria Canning, 20, assault

A woman attacked another woman for trying to get past her in a Blackpool nightclub.

Victoria Canning pulled the woman’s hair, slapped her face and either kicked or kneed her in the face as she lay on the floor at Popworld.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Canning, 20, of Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool, wept as she plead guilty to assault and behaving in a threatening manner.

Prosecutor, Andrea Fawcett, said Canning was with her boyfriend at Popworld when door security staff saw her acting in an aggressive manner waving a bottle above her head on November 15.

As a woman tried to get past her Canning called her “Blackpool scum” and launched a violent attack on her.

Canning was extremely drunk and after being arrested police showed her CCTV which detailed how she had behaved.

She was extremely remorseful and said she was disgusted by her actions.

Canning’s defence lawyer said she suffered from mental health problems, anxiety and depression and she had a support worker.

She was bailed for pre-sentence reports.

Adel Aboulkacem, 32, theft

A father who was struggling financially with the approach of Christmas turned to crime.

Adel Aboulkacem stole a leather jacket and then tried to snatch bottles of men’s fragrance.

Aboulkacem, 32, of Ashton Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to theft, attempted theft and handling stolen goods.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with 40 hours unpaid work for the community and ordered to pay £179 compensation with £85 costs.

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said security officers at Debenhams saw the defendant take £123 of men’s fragrances on November 18.

Officers then recognised he was the man in a photograph circulated by Marks and Spencer, who had stolen a £179 leather jacket from that store the day before.

A pair of jeans valued at £29.99 which had been stolen from New Look were found on the defendant’s bag along with a pair of pliers.

He said he had bought the jeans from a man in the street.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said his client had come here from Tunisia 10 years ago, married an English woman and they had two children.

He worked mostly as a chef but had been between jobs and started to struggle financially as Christmas approached.

He now had a job in a factory packing goods.

Jamie Wetton, 21, threatening behaviour with intent

A released prisoner who stamped on a man’s head has been returned to jail.

Jamie Wetton, who was only freed six weeks ago after serving time for an offence of violence, has now been recalled on his prison licence and may now spend years incarcerated.

Wetton, 21, of Chester Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour with intent to make people believe violence would be used.

He was sentenced to four months jail and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge for this offence by District Judge Jeff Brailsford.

The judge told Wetton that his offence took place in “a savage and inexcusable 60 seconds” of violence.

Defence lawyer, Kathryn Jamieson-Sinclair, said her client had snapped when a man had made a comment about his mother who had killed herself when he was a very young child.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said patrolling police near Ma Kelly’s nightspot in the resort’s Dickson Road saw Wetton attacking another man on December 10 at 12.20am.

When apprehended Wetton, who had been drinking, refused to give his name and told officers he hoped their families died of cancer,

Police viewed CCTV which showed Wetton attacking two men.

He punched one man to the ground and repeatedly stamped on his head.

Mrs Jamieson-Sinclair, defending, said: “He makes no excuses for his behaviour.

“A man made a comment about his mother who killed herself when he was a very young child and the red mist came down.

“He says he was fully responsible for what took place.

“He had previously received a very lengthy prison sentence.

“He has been recalled to prison as a result of this offence and could well be in prison for some years because of his behaviour over 60 seconds.”

James Wallis, 45, heroin possession

A man who started taking drugs as a young boy was found with heroin when he was searched by police.

James Wallis had a record of 130 previous offences many for possessing class A drugs and for supplying drugs.

Wallis, 45, of Fleet Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to possessing heroin and failing to answer bail.

He was fined £190 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by District Judge Margaret McCormack who ordered the destruction of the drugs.

The judge said: “If he carries on the way he is going he may not live to his old age.

“His record is littered with drug offences and unless he wants to address his problem there is a high chance he will be back before the court.”

Prosecutor, Sarah Perkins, said Wallis was stopped on Central Drive on October 24. He was arrested because he had previously failed to answer bail. When searched a wrap of heroin was found on him.

Hugh Pond, defending, said his client had been using drugs since he was a young boy.

They had ruined his life and it was surprising he was still alive. Wallis was no danger to anyone but himself.

The day Wallis should have answered bail it was his birthday. He had been celebrating and forgot to go.

Avalon Lynden, 18, cocaine possession

A teenager grew cannabis and had another drug with intent to supply other people.

Avalon Lynden, aged 18, of Limechase Close, South Shore, pleaded guilty to possessing 5.98 grams of cocaine with intent to supply the drug.

He also admitted producing 14 cannabis plants at his home on September 8.

Lynden was bailed to appear for sentence at Preston Crown Court on January 11 by Blackpool magistrates

Stephen Pugh, 34, assault

A man has made his first appearance at court accused of headbutting his girlfriend in the face.

Stephen Pugh, 34, of Platt Street, Blackpool, pleaded not guilty to assault.

He was refused bail and remanded in custody towards trial on January 13 by District Judge Margaret McCormack sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.