Blackpool: From the courts 03-05-18

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 7:00 am
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Read More

Read More
Blackpool: From the courts 02-05-18

Robert Charlton, 32, order breach

A man with drink and drug problems breached a court order, Blackpool Magistrates were told.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Robert Charlton, 32, of Dickson Road,Blackpool admitted failing to do rehabilitation sessions ordered by the court after he was convicted of shoplifting offences.

His lawyer Michael Woosnam said: “This man has long standing issues with drink, heroin and crack cocaine.

“He has also suffered because the death of his brother in a road traffic accident.”

Magistrates decided to extend the length of the community order by six months.

James Hutson, 27, damage

A man caused damage because he wanted to go to prison a judge was told.

James Hutson smashed a public phone and threatened if he was not jailed for that he would hurt people.

Hutson, 27, who gave a care of address of Briarfield, Bispham, pleaded guilty to an offence of damage.

District Judge Jeff Brailsford told him: “I have never sent someone to prison because they want me to. I am sending you to prison for the repeat offending.”

Hutson, who had numerous previous offences of damaging a public phone, was jailed for eight weeks and ordered to pay £115 victims’ surcharge.

Stephen Routledge, 24, damage - case dropped

A man who had been stabbed and then fled from his attacker by climbing onto a garage roof has had the case against him dropped.

Stephen Routledge, 24, of Station Road, South Shore, had been charged with damaging a garage roof on New Year’s Day.

Defence lawyer, Gerry Coyle, said: “He was fleeing after being stabbed and went through the garage roof while trying to escape.”

The case against Routledge was formally withdrawn.

Mark Earnshaw, 32, failing to comply with conditions of his bail

A father-of-two was arrested after visiting his wife at her home in South Shore.

Mark Earnshaw, 32, of The Promenade, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with conditions of his bail.

He was rebailed.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Earnshaw had been bailed after pleading not guilty to a domestic assault.

He was banned from contacting his wife except through a third party about contact with the children and was prohibited from going to her address as conditions of his bail.

On April 28 at 4.45pm police went to Earnshaw’s wife’s address after a report of banging and shouting inside.

Earnshaw was there and was arrested.

Gary McAnulty, defending, said his client had legitimately got contact with his children, taking them swimming and then for something to eat.

His wife had then approached him and invited him back to the home to be there at the children’s bedtime.

David Knapman, 64, dishonestly failing to disclose information

An electrician was a benefits cheat who illegally claimed thousands of pounds from the public purse.

David Knapman was asked on four occasions by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) if he was receiving annuity payments and each time he said no.

Knapman, 64, of Welbeck Avenue, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to dishonestly failing to disclose information.

He was was sentenced to do 80 hours unpaid work for the community and ordered to pay £160 costs with £80 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Knapman illegally claimed £2,977 in income support between September 2014 and October 2016 by failing to reveal he received annuity payments.

On one occasion Knapman told DWP officials he had received a lump sum some years ago but that he received nothing regularly.

The prosecutor said Knapman had been asked four times by the DWP about money he might receive and four times the defendant had said he did not receive annuity payments.

When Knapman was interviewed by fraud investigators he said he had got it wrong and it was an oversight.Knapman had been repaying what he owed after voluntarily making an arrangement with the DWP.

James Gregson, 44, assault

A man has appeared at court charged with assaulting his own mother with a saucepan.

James Gregson, 44, is alleged to have assaulted the 71-year-old on April 29 at a house where they were both living in Anchorsholme.

Gregson denied the offence and was bailed pending his trial on August 3.

Gregson gave his current address as Heyhouses Lane, St Annes.

Gregson must not contact his mother and must not enter Maplewood Drive, Anchorsholme.