Blue plaque marks hidden war history of Blackpool’s Watson Road Park

The Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire, John Barnett MBE, unveiled the plaque
The Deputy Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire, John Barnett MBE, unveiled the plaque
Share this article
0
Have your say

A blue plaque has been installed at Watson Road Park in South Shore to mark the end of the First World War – and to commemorate its own role in the deadly conflict.

The park was used for training troops in trench warfare, with trenches modelled on those in Loos, Flanders, before being opened to the public in June 1916.

The blue plaque

The blue plaque

Admission fees were used to fund the King’s Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital in Squites Gate Lane, with patients acting as guides.

The idea for the plaque came from councillor Heather O’Hara, who worked with the park’s Friends group, which raised most of the cash – with £100 coming from the Blackpool CivicTrust.

Work to uncover the trench system dug in the First World War to train soldiers before their deployment to the battlefields of France and Belgium in 2014. Pictured is archeologist in charge Nigel Neil

Work to uncover the trench system dug in the First World War to train soldiers before their deployment to the battlefields of France and Belgium in 2014. Pictured is archeologist in charge Nigel Neil