Police, ambulance and fire crews were called to the pumping station in Lennox Gate, South Shore after traces of the pollutant were found in the sewer network on Wednesday morning (.June 29).
It was feared the fumes and any pollutant in the sewers could be highly flammable and potentially explosive, which led to the road being cordoned off for the public’s safety.
The emergency response was led by Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service with ambulance crews on standby in case they were needed.
Bispham teenager arrested on suspicion of abduction after missing Leyland girl found
New St Annes wind sports centre was built without planning permission due to 'miscommunication', says Fylde Council
Revealed: These are the five most dangerous roads in Blackpool according to our readers
Daredevil trio capture incredible selfie of Red Arrows from top of Blackpool Tower
Campaign to help 36 year old Fylde coast dad after terminal cancer diagnosis
A fire service spokesman said: “We were called at 8.41am this morning to reports of a petrol fumes at a pumping station on Lennox Gate, Blackpool.
"These fumes were from an unconfirmed source.
"Firefighters worked closely with partner organisations including United Utilities and colleagues from other emergency services to make the scene safe.
"No injuries were reported, and we have subsequently left the scene.
"United Utilities has taken over as the lead organisation.”
Investigations are under way to determine the source of the pollution and how it has entered the resort’s sewer network.
But United Utilities has reassured households that Blackpool’s drinking water has not been affected by the contamination and tap water remains safe to drink.
A United Utilities spokesman said: “We are working closely with the emergency services and partner agencies after petrol fumes were detected at Lennox Gate wastewater pumping station.
"Our first priority is the safety of the public and our employees.
“We are also carrying out investigations and conducting sampling to determine the source of this pollution and how it could be entering the waste water network.
"This has not affected drinking water supplies in Blackpool.”