Animals and staff evacuated after fire at Blackpool vets

Animals and staff were evacuated from a veterinary surgery in Layton after a fire broke out in the first floor of the building, say fire services.

Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 1:34 pm
Updated Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 1:50 pm
hree fire engines from Blackpool, Bispham and South Shore were called to Alpha Vets on Layton Road

Three fire engines from Blackpool, Bispham and South Shore were called to Alpha Vets on Layton Road just before 2pm on Wednesday March 21.

Crews arrived to find the first floor of the building heavily smoke logged with an staff member outside along with some of the animals.

Another person is said to have attempted to extinguish the fire using a damp tea towel.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters say that the business did not have any smoke alarms and are now asking business owners to ensure they have adequate systems in place.

Watch Manager Warren Topp said: "The occupant had left a pan on the stove and got side tracked. She discovered the fire in the first floor kitchen when she went back upstairs and saw smoke.

"She attempted to put the fire out using damp tea towels which we definitely wouldn't recommend. Another occupant called 999 and evacuated along with some animals.

"When we arrived the first floor was heavily smoke logged and the pan was alight on the stove.

"We used a hose reel and two breathing apparatus to put the fire out.

"Unfortunately smoke alarms had not been fitted by the responsible person previously so we fitted some interim detection after extinguishing the fire.

"All business owners need to do a fire risk assessment in conjunction with government guides to ensure their fire precautions meet regulations."

Fire services confirmed that no laws had been broken by the business.

No people or animals were injured during the incident.

The surgery has been contacted for comment.