Prince Philip moved back to hospital after heart surgery - latest on his condition

Friday, 5th March 2021, 1:38 pm
Updated Friday, 5th March 2021, 1:39 pm
Prince Philip has been moved back to hospital King Edward VII’s Hospital (Photo: Getty Images)

Prince Philip has been moved back to hospital King Edward VII’s Hospital in London following a “successful” heart procedure earlier this week, Buckingham Palace has said.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

“Slightly improving”

Philip underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London on Wednesday (3 March), just three months before his 100th birthday.

He was initially admitted to King Edwadrd VII’s on 16 February after feeling unwell at Windsor Castle.

He was moved by ambulance to St Bartholomew’s on Monday (1 March) and has already spent 17 nights in hospital, marking his longest ever stay.

In a statement, the Palace said: “Following the Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s Hospital this morning.

“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.”

Earlier this week, the Duchess of Cornwall said that Philip was “slightly improving” and said “we’ll keep our fingers crossed”.

Ongoing health problems

Prince Philip has suffered with a number of ailments over the years, including being treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011.

Later in June 2012, he suffered from a bladder infection which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

A year later in June 2013, he had exploratory surgery on his abdomen and began to use hearing aids in 2014, at the age of 93.

The Duke later pulled out of a Battle of Jutland anniversary event in june 2016 citing a minor ailment, which was followed soon after by his retirement from public duty in 2017.

Prince Philip also spent four nights at King Edward Hospital in December 2019, where he was treated for a “pre-existing condition”.

He was later discharged on Christmas Eve and was driven to Sandringham to spend Christmas with the Queen.