Here we take a look back at some of Blackpool's landmarks which have been lost forever in the name of progress.
Opened in 1939, the official opening was scheduled for 1940 but was delayed due to the war. It wasn't until 1965 when the Earl of Derby could do the ceremony. The baths closed in 1990.
Known as Pontins Blackpool, the holiday camp was technically located over the border, in St Annes. The site closed in October 2009 for a housing development.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
The London Eye of its day, Blackpools Great Wheel on Coronation Street was a wonder of the Victorian Age. It was built in 1896, at the south west corner of the Winter Gardens. It was dismantled in 1928.
Opened as the Locarno ballroom in April 1965. The late 70s, it was renamed the Tiffany. 1998 it opened as Some Place Else, but closed in 1999, later becoming a bowling alley and the Rhythm Dome nightclub. Demolition in 2009.
Formerly known as The Alhambra Theatre which opened in 1899, it was sold to the Blackpool Tower Company in July 1903 and opened in 1904 as The Palace Theatre. It was demolished in 1961.
It became Yatess Wine Lodge in 1896 but was demolished, following a devastating fire in February 2009. It opened in 1868 as The Theatre Royal and Assembly Rooms, then Free Library in 1880.
Built in 1874 the hotel was demolished in 2007 to make way for a car park.
Built in 1931 to replace the original inn, which stood just a few yards from the sea. It was opened by the Pleasure Beach under the name The Apple and Parrot, in July 2014 following renovation. It was shut down for good in 2016.
Charles Court, Ashworth Court, Elizabeth Court and Churchill Court were built in the 1960s Walter Robinson Court in 1972 and the flats were an architects bold vision of the future, building up instead of across.
The building became home to the Blackpool Gazette but then was demolished to make way for Pizza Hut, KFC and Blockbusters.
Opened 4th July, 1895. 1900 it became the Hippodrome Theatre which closed 1960. In 1963 ABC Theatre opened. December 2002 the infamous Syndicate Night Club opened its doors till 2010. August 2015 the building was demolished.
Opened 6 April 1863 as "Hounds Hill" renamed "Blackpool Central" in 1878. 1901 the station grew to 14 platforms. The station closed the 2nd November 1964. The building was partially used as a bingo hall. It was demolished in 1973.
The 1960s bus station stopped running from this site in 2002. In 2006 the bus station was earmarked for demolition, but was kept as part of the 227 million redevelopment - the Talbot Gateway project - to revitalise the area.