British wrestling legend William Regal says the show will go on, after major surgery.
It was feared the manager and ring-man for WWE’s developmental brand NXT would have to cancel his role in NXT’s first UK tour, when it comes to the Empress Ballroom next month.
William, real name Darren Matthews, made his ring debut at Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s Horseshoe Show bar aged 15 and regards the resort as home.
Last week he had major surgery on his neck, writing on Twitter he had ‘a C3 through C6 laminectomy’ – where part of the vertebral bone is removed.
Posting on the social media site, he said: “Look at the state of my luscious locks! Just so you hear it from me, I had a c-3 through c-6 laminectomy last Wednesday. I wanted to put it out there so no one can weave a more interesting tale. I’m slowly on the mend.”
He added: “I’m not one for sympathy so please no need to tell me best wishes and the like. It’s just part of the life I’ve chosen and wouldn’t change a thing.
“No need to tell me you’re praying for me as it would be a wasted prayer. Save that for people who need real help if that’s you’re thing.
“The only thank-you is from me to you for allowing me to entertain you for the last 32 years.”
He told the Gazette: “I’ll be coming to WWE NXT tour in December and the Empress Ballroom and [am] very much looking forward to it. Wouldn’t miss it for anything.”
The Empress Ballroom show takes place on Sunday, December 13.
* Call (01253) 625252 for tickets.