Mother’s shock at KFC ‘offal’

Dana Spencer and the thing she found in her KFC.
Dana Spencer and the thing she found in her KFC.
Share this article
Have your say

A foul discovery in a bucket of fried chicken has left a mother-of-four vowing never to eat meat again.

Dana Spencer, 28, made the grim find of what is believed to be offal which had been fried in batter, just before she was about to feed it to her one-year-old son Charlie.

The thing  found by Dana Spencer in her KFC.

The thing found by Dana Spencer in her KFC.

The 10-piece bucket of chicken had been bought from KFC, on Devonshire Road, Blackpool, on Sunday evening.

The company has since apologised over the incident.

Ms Spencer, who says she usually visits the takeaway at least once a week, told The Gazette she thought it looked like a small piece of brain.

She said: “I was just peeling the batter off and it fell out, it was disgusting. I just thought it was a bit of skin because it’s wrinkly, then I touched it and it was all spongy - I felt physically sick.”

Ms Spencer, of Park Road, Blackpool, was eating the meal with Charlie, and her other children, Amber, 10, four-year-old Ruby and Lee, three – as well as her 30-year-old ex-husband, also called Lee.

KFC says the unidentified object is likely to be from the chicken’s giblets – the edible innards of the bird such as the heart, gizzards or intestines.

But Ms Spencer says she will now be staying away from the company’s food as a result of her experience.

She said: “When I found it I didn’t show it to the children because they’d just eaten theirs. I won’t be eating KFC for the rest of my life. I can’t believe it because it was just a normal Sunday. I never want to see it again and I think it’s put me off meat for life now.”

A spokesman for KFC said: “We’re really sorry for Ms Spencer’s experience. We sell 200 million pieces of chicken every year and always try to ensure the highest standards in every restaurant.

“However, because all our chicken on the bone is freshly prepared by hand, unfortunately on rare occasions, human error can mean that a giblet is not removed in the preparation process, and it appears that this is what happened in this instance.

“We will be contacting Ms Spencer to provide her with a gesture of goodwill, and are retraining our cooks in the restaurant on our strict food preparation processes to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”

Jane Miller, director of pathology at Poulton-based analyst Dechra Labs, said: “It certainly doesn’t look like a chicken’s brain. I don’t know what it is but I think you’d have to get histology done on it to find out.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.