Central Pier bounces back from fire to reopen with live music from The Coustics
Central Pier reopened to the public just a week after a major fire which threatened to burn the icon to the ground.
The 152-year-old attraction, which a fire chief said could easily have been destroyed last Friday, began welcoming guests back yesterday.
While the waltzers and Flying Bob ride, which were destroyed and damaged respectively, were still closed, "everything else is open and there is lots for the whole family to enjoy", a spokesman said.
Local band The Coustics played at 1.30pm in the Terrace Bar, and the arcades, game stalls, bars, and food stalls were all open.
Earlier this week Peter Sedgwick, whose family owns all three resort piers, said there was no damage to the structure of Central Pier and, following replacement of some of the decking, it would be safe for people to visit again.
But it has been a tumultuous couple of months for Mr Sedgwick and his family.
In June, health and safety bosses dished out a six-figure fine after refurbishment work at South Pier exposed visitors to potentially-deadly asbestos fibres.And on Tuesday this week, a fresh probe was opened after a woman was hurt after falling from the waltzers on South Pier.Mr Sedgwick could not be reached for an immediate comment this afternoon.