Poulton Primary League pays respects to Jordan

editorial image
Share this article

Teams across the leagues held a minute’s applause after the tragic death of former Blackpool Rangers player Jordan Whitehouse after his battle with illness, aged only 20.

Jordan was with Blackpool Rangers for over 10 years, while his father Ian was manager. All involved with the Poulton & District Primary League send their condolences to Jordan’s family at this very sad time.

Respects to Jordan were paid at our match of the week in the second round of the U10 Coulton Cup between FC Rangers and Blackpool Rangers Seasiders. FC emerged 3-1 winners after a goalless first half in which the Seasiders applied the early pressure.

Branden Brayshaw, Scott Kendall and Callum Stones all went close but good goalkeeping and defending kept the Seasiders at bay.

FC broke the deadlock early in the second half with a fine finish by Kaiden Henson.

They looked fired up and doubled their lead within minutes, when the ball fell to Callum Wrench-Feehan and he rounded the keeper before firing into the empty net.

The Seasiders applied more pressure but FC’s man of the match keeper Alistair Sullivan kept them out.

FC Rangers eventually made it 3-0 as Kaiden Henson chipped the keeper from the edge of the box.

The Seasiders, whose man of the match was Alistair Sullivan, were rewarded for their efforts when Jenson Sharp converted a cross from the right wing. But it was too late to prevent FC Rangers progressing to round three.

FC Rangers were also winners in their U9 Coulton Cup tie against Foxhall.

Jake Wenham scored a fine solo goal, beating several Foxhall defenders before slotting home. Foxhall applied pressure after half-time but two Xavier Gil goals sealed FC’s win, his second a fine top-corner finish. Man of the match Caine Campbell made some fine runs and solid defending from the FC defensre secured their quarter-final spot.

Poulton Stripes won at Spirit of Youth All-Stars, taking control with a powerful Preston shot and Manson’s deft volley. Solid defending in the second-half from Pilling, Woodhouse and Norris kept Spirit at bay as Hayes and Cocker controlled the wing. Gallagher secured the win with a brilliant chip.

YMCA Blacks started their U9 Coulton Plate campaign with a 6-1 victory over Wyre Juniors Blacks. They led 2-0 at half-time but Wyre came more into the game after the restart, pulling a goal back.

YMCA quickly found their earlier rhythm and added a further four goals. Alfie Berry and Oli Hoskisson both notched two goals for YMCA, with Billy Breakell and Tom Woodington their other marksmen.

In the second round, YMCA Oranges were 4-0 winners over Poulton Reds. The first half was closely contested but YMCA took the initiative immediately after half-time as Harvey Barbour scored a hat-trick, all from excellent crosses by Liam Roberts.

YMCA remained in control for the remainder of the game. Theodore Mawane adding a fourth goal.

Penalty shootouts were needed in the U10 Coulton Cup before Thornton Cleveleys Blacks and Poulton Dynamos edged past BJFF Blades Whites and Kirkham Blues respectively.

Layton Juniors won a penalty shootout against Wyre Juniors after they shared eight goals, while spot-kicks also sealed Poulton Flames’ win over Spirit of Youth.

YMCA U10s went out on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 draw with Fleetwood Town.

They started on the front foot, playing some excellent footbal, and were rewarded when George Denye put them 1-0 ahead with a half-volley into the bottom corner.

YMCA doubled their lead when Ali Ruman fired the ball into the top corner with a thunderous drive. Town responded by pulling a goal back but Denye restored YMCA’s two-goal lead. Town reduced the deficit again when a long throw into the goalmouth was headed in for an own goal.

With only seconds remaining the home side grabbed a dramatic equaliser with a fine opportunist goal, then Fleetwood won the shootout.

In the second round of the U11 Coulton Plate, Poulton Town overcame Thornton Cleveleys Blacks in an even contest. Poulton took an early lead through Thomas Powl and went further ahead to a Powl penalty and an Alfie Douglas strike by half-time.

Powl scored two more to take his tally to four and an own goal added to Thornton’s misfortune. They never gave up and always looked dangerous, bu Town’s defence stood firm as the match ended 6-0.

In the U12 league, YMCA were in control from the start at Sealand Road and defeated Blackpool Rangers Tangerines 7-1. After creating several early chances, they eventually made a breakthrough and went on to lead 5-0 at half-time.

They added two more goals in the second half, with the visitors notching a consolation. Zane Seddon netted twice and the other YMCA marksmen were Josh Edwards, Spencer Phillips, Ben Elliott, Oliver Williamson and Angelo Vinci. Phillips.

Harry Dyer and Archie Hingley were notable also for YMCA.