Blackpool and District Youth League round-up

AFC Blackpool U16 v St Annes
AFC Blackpool U16 v St Annes
Share this article
Have your say

Blackpool and District Youth League teams were flying the flag for the Fylde coast in the Lancashire FA Cup last weekend.

Poulton are the only Under-16 club through to the quarter- finals after a fantastic 4-2 win against Highfield Grove.

Poulton took the lead when Tom Preston put Conor Houghton through to score.

This was quickly followed by the second as Houghton turned provider for Matty Crooks to score before the striker was again on target for his side’s third and fourth.

YMCA made the perfect start in this Lancashire FA Cup fourth round tie at home to Southport as Owen Bridge scored from Liam Docherty’s long ball behind the defence.

Isaac Eastham volleyed just wide from a Brad Jones corner but the visitors headed an equaliser from a free-kick just before half-time.

Ross Hart went close early in the second half, but Southport took the lead and would have scored more but for Billy Crelin’s saves.

They did make it 3-1 from the penalty spot on 62 minutes but YMCA gave themselves hope with a late Jack Bishop goal.

They couldn’t force an equaliser, despite hard work from Docherty and Rohan Brow and bowed out 3-2

South Shore lost 2-0 at home to Myerscough in the under-15 section and Kirkham beat Radcliffe in the under-14s.

In the under-13s, there are two teams left as Liam Brown and Jake Guy both scored hat-tricks for BJFF Blades as they beat Rishton 7-0, with Daniel Smith also on target.

Foxhall (Jacob Stone-Grice, Robbie Fitzpatrick, Adam Rodgers, Brodie Johnson) are through too after beating Hawcoat Park 4-2.

The Hogan Cup got under way with the preliminary rounds, and in the under-13s competition Squires Gate won at Lytham Juniors.

Lytham took the lead in the first half with a superb free-kick before superb play from Jack Robinson earned Gate a penalty. Robinson dusted himself down to finish from the spot.

The second half couldn’t have been more different, with Gate playing with freedom and they immediately scored via the tireless Brogan Grundy.

A third was quick in coming, when Grundy won a penalty that Robinson dispatched.

The next goal saw Harry Ahern’s goal-kick flicked precisely into the path of Dolby-Armstrong, who ran frm halfway to fire home off the far post.

Robinson completed his hat-trick with a header from Lucas Miller’s cross.

Lytham scored a consolation before McKenzie Marazuk-Webster finished one on one, having been set up by man of the match Dolby-Armstrong. Lytham’s goals came from Rhys Dodd and Max Wiggans.

In the under-14s, Blackpool Rangers (Luca Hardman 2, Sam Latham 2), beat Fleetwood Gym (Tom Dickinson) 4-1, while a Kane Thomas hat- trick set Fleetwood Town on their way to a 5-2 win against Foxhall. Dan Crewdson and Owen Walmsley also scored, while Lewis Perry and Harrison Stott replied.

BJFF Blues were the top scorers of the day with a 15-0 win at Layton Clarets. Tyler Moore led the way with four, while there were hat-tricks for Oliver Moran and Leon Bottomley. Maison Rainey scored a brace and further goals came from Curtis Barber, Ben Davis-Ward and Callum Berry.

YMCA overcame a shaky start to beat BJFF Whites 9-1 in the Hogan Cup preliminary round.

The visitors started brightly and took the lead inside five minutes.

YMCA missed a penalty but took the initiative as strikes by Harvey Shaw and Spencer Baxendale put them 2-1 ahead at half time.

They then took full control as Shaw and Baxendale both notched their second goal, with Zac Pearson also bagging a pair. Also on target were Jake Molloy, James Hughes and Toby Grant.

Kirkham Reds edged a seven-goal thriller at home to Lytham Juniors Home Heat to progress to the first round proper thanks to Josh Marshall(2), Kieran Dawes and Alex Adams, while Ollie Seers(2) and Tom Pinsent replied.

It took a penalty shootout to decide the winner of the St Annes Bombers v Spirit of Youth tie. Much of the early action was in the middle of the pitch until St Annes’ Toby Ashton got on the end of a corner from Lucas Kilgallon.

Spirit of Youth continued to push for goal but were frustrated by St Annes goalkeeper and man of the match Jacob Harrison.

Finally, Spirit managed to break through and grab the equaliser through Dillon Ward.

Spirit came out top on penalties 4-1 to go through to the next round.

St Annes’ other team were also beaten, 5-1 at Northgate, where Leo Woodruff and TJ Baxter got two goals apiece. Alex Gillespie netted the other and Kevin McGow scored St Annes’ consolation.

Regular Hogan Cup finalists Foxhall started this season’s campaign with a hard- fought 3-0 win at Lytham Jaguars thanks to Ashton(2) and Finlayson.

Warton Typhoons reached double figures against Layton Clarets as Ross Minshull scored four, Josh Craven three, and James Richardson, Henry Fiddler and Tom Parkinson the others.

BJFF Blades kept their perfect start going in the league with a 4-1 win over Thornton Cleveleys Whites thanks to goals from Matthew Finney, Lloyd Patterson, PJ Spencer and Ethan Kinsey, while Harvey Hampton replied.

Thornton’s Reds beat Foxhall 3-2 thanks to goals from Nathan Beckett(2) and Sam Adshead, and St Annes (Luke Black 2, Keaton Adam) beat Layton (Ryan Jones) 3-1 .

In the under-13s division, Clifton were 7-0 winners at St Annes (see above), while Ellis Emsley, Shay McLoughlin and Jake Morris secured Fleetwood Gym’s 3-1 win at Blackpool Rangers, for whom Keisha Masterson replied.

In the under 14 beta league, Lytham Juniors managed a stunning 9-1 win against Foxhall Hoops with hat-tricks from Ellis Moudsley and Louise Fleming. Matty Mercer (2) and Olly Lamb scored the others, and Leon Holmes replied.

South Shore’s Joseph Curry hit BJFF Vipers for six, their other goals in the 9-2 win coming courtesy of Joshua Summers-Green, Josh Thomas and Cameron Walker. Scorers for Vipers were Zac Hickling and Jacob White.

Only two games survived in the under-15 alpha division as Blackpool Rangers Revolution (Ollie Purdon 2, Jake Denehey 2, James Lawrenson, Jordan Salthouse) beat Fleetwood Town 6-2. The other game was a Poulton derby, in which goals from Nathan Feeney, Ross Moore and Harry Jenkins secured Town a 3-2 win at Poulton, for whom TJ Phillips and Steven Lambert both replied.

In the beta league, FC Rangers went to the top of the table, leapfrogging Warton Typhoons after beating them 3-0. Kye Wylie scored all three.

Fleetwood Gym won 4-1 against Layton, with goals coming from Will Highton, Ben Gill, Ryan Leach and Addison Boaler, while Jacob Smith replied.

In the under-16 alpha league, Thornton Cleveleys (Rob Jones 2, Joe Richardson, Matty Lee, Aidan Daly) played out an amazing 5-5 draw against BJFF Vipers (Cozzey 2, Hulme ,Bradley, Berrisford).

An Olly Verity hat-trick and Johnny Cardwell’s strike secured a 4-2 win for Wyre at Layton Blues, for whom Kier Ingram bagged both.

In the beta league, Lee Casey helped himself to a hat-trick as AFC Blackpool extended their lead at the top with an 8-2 win over St Annes.

Callum Gellatly (2), Eli Cheetham, Joe Reid and Rylan Casey scored the others.

Poulton Town (Billington, Green) shared the spoils 2-2 with Staining (Joe Murray, Danny Siddall).

The under-18 league saw a Spirit of Youth derby, in which the Yellows proved too strong for the Blues.

It was 5-0 at half-time after two goals from Kyle Hodkinson, and one apiece for Jordan Parker, Robert Markillie and Connor Dunleavy.

Man of the match Hodkinson completed his hat-trick before the Blues pulled one back (Josh Lamb) only for Ollie Betts and Parker to make the final score 8-1. Robert Cronshaw pulled off some fantastic saves for the Blues.

Another hat-trick hero was Matty Rhodes, whose goals earned St Annes a 3-1 win over previously unbeaten FC Rangers Blues, for whom Alex Varley scored.