Lytham stick to title trail

REACHing for the top: Four-goal Gilly Harrison (in blue)
REACHing for the top: Four-goal Gilly Harrison (in blue)
Have your say

LYTHAM Ladies are still in the hunt for the premier league title after their 11-0 hammering of Chorley and Leyland.

Chorley could only field ten players and Lytham were soon in front as Gemma Trickett found the net following Gilly Harrison’s run down the left.

Skilful play by Courtney Spector enabled Trickett to add a second and the in-form Harrison flicked home the third.

The impressive Amy Horrocks set up Trickett’s hat-trick goal and Georgina Read made it five with a fierce shot. Natasha Singleton’s speed was another factor as Trickett’s fourth and Harrison’s second made it 7-0 at half-time.

Brave Chorley battled on and their keeper made some outstanding saves, while they forced Lytham’s Clare Taylor into a good one too.

Lytham added four more goals as Harrison matched Trickett’s tally of four. Singleton was also on target and Amy Horrocks completed the scoring from a penalty corner.

Lytham Seconds started well against the Morecambe first team but were beaten 5-1.

Alix Townsend worked hard up front for Lytham, while Gabi Little and Alex Lord battled in defence, but Morecambe moved into a three-goal lead despite some fine saves by Eleni Cullen. The outstanding Katie Warren made it 3-1 at half-time, scoring on the rebound after a good run and shot by Harley Greene.

Injuries hit both sides in the second half as Morecambe scored twice more, despite strong tackling from Amy Roberts and Hannah Hesketh.

A young Lytham Thirds lost 3-1 to a Springfields side that took its chances well.

Lytham played constructive hockey as goalscorer Fran Beeby and Abi Eagles attacked strongly.

n Blackpool Men’s Seconds followed the senior side in clinching promotion with a 2-2 draw against Carlisle.

The seconds have gone up two years running and will play in North West division seven next season.

Third-placed Carlisle defended solidly at first and opened the scoring from a short corner.

It looked like it would not be Blackpool’s day as they had a goal disallowed and star defender Phil Taylor suffered a blow to the head.

But Blackpool pressed after half-time and captain Simon Allen equalised with a well-struck penalty.

Allen fired his second into the top corner but Carlisle came back strongly, despite being reduced to ten men by a yellow card.

Blackpool also picked up a yellow but held on for a point, despite a Carlisle equaliser, and out came the champagne to celebrate a long but successful season.

The first team also faced Carlisle and emerged 7-0 winners.

Blackpool passed and moved well and Pete Latimer’s interception paved the way for the opening goal, finished off by Ian Swaine who nutmegged the keeper after a good run by Steve Whitley.

Captain Whitley fired home the second and Dave Morgan scored the third with a deflected shot.

Kieran Harris was unlucky to hit the post after being set up by Morgan, who scored his second after half-time. Jack Boniface set up this one and fired in the shot from which Morgan completed his hat-trick on the rebound.

Another excellent run and cross by Whitley enabled James Slater to score the sixth before turning provider with a cross from the right for Morgan to complete the scoring.

Morgan’s four took him ot 31 for the season, the same total as man of the match Swaine. This weekend’s final match will determine which of them finishes the season as the team’s and league’s top scorer.

Blackpool Thirds, mostly made up of under-16s, completed their season with a 5-1 defeat against South Manchester’s senior side.

Man of the match was 14-year-old Alex Hughes, who was pushed hard by Jordan and Josh Payne. Captain Alex Diver scored the consolation with a drag-flick into the roof of the net, his 17th goal in 17 games.

n Blackpool Ladies showed they are a force to be reckoned with by twice coming back from behind to beat Garstang 3-2.

In a very open and free-flowing game, Garstang took a 15th-minute lead only for Becky Worthington to equalise seven minutes later.

Garstang were back in front by half-time but Blackpool levelled again when Worthington collected Christy Martin’s 30-yard pass, beat two defenders and scored with a great reverse stick shot.

Blackpool continued to push forward and Kandy Cardwell set up Selina Boyes for the winner. Worthington and Cardwell shared player of the match honours.

An injury-hit Blackpool Seconds always faced a tough task away to league leaders Clitheroe, who took the lead after ten minutes. Taegan O’Hara equalised from a pass by Blackpool player of game Lauren Harkness. However, a strong Clitheroe side were back in front by half-time, then pulled clear to win 6-1.

Blackpool Thirds continued their winning streak with a comfortable 3-1 win over Southport.

Maria Chiczewski scored in both halves and Olivia Knowles was player of the match for the second week running. She made some superb runs down the wings and scored the other goal in the second half.

Southport managed a consolation goal despite keeper Hannah Bower saving the initial shot.

n LYTHAM Men had a weekend to forget as the first team lost 4-2 at home to Alderley Edge.

There were heavy defeats for the Seconds at Winnington Park (8-2), the Thirds at home to Didsbury Northern Fourths (7-1) and the Fourths against Blackburn Northern’s first team (7-0).