Hockey round-up: Blackpool, Lytham, Rossall

Blackpool Men came from behind to beat Wigan 4-3 in a hard-fought match.

Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 12:52 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 4:39 pm
Heidi Williams in action for Lytham against Lancaster

Blackpool started slowly as the visitors had all the play in the opening 10 minutes.

Nick Rainbow made a couple of tidy saves, then Dave Morgan and Steve Whitley began to hassle the Wigan defence as the home side turned the tide.

The opening goal came after 20 minutes, when Whitley stole the ball and passed to Rob Dingle on the right.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He in turn found Morgan, who slotted home under pressure.

Five minutes later, Swaine’s crossfield ball found Dingle on the right and his cross to the back post was again turned in by the predatory Morgan. Dingle went close to scoring himself when he skimmed the outside of the upright.

Wigan made it 2-1 by half-time and again flew out the blocks in the second half.

Blackpool were again thankful to Rainbow and good defence from Dec O’Hara to protect their lead.

Eventually the pressure told and Wigan converted a penalty corner to deservedly pull level. Wigan pounced on a rocking Blackpool side to take the lead with a neat finish.

Blackpool regrouped, with Jordan Payne leading the attack. Their first penalty corner of the match brought two good saves from the goalkeeper before Payne won a penalty stroke. Dingle made it two in two weeks from the spot as he brought his side level.

Man of the match Payne saw an audacious lob land on the crossbar but he deservedly got his name on the scoresheet with less than 10 minutes left, when he was first to react to Dingle’s rebounded shot.

Wigan forced a penalty corner in the final minute but Rainbow saved well and Blackpool held firm to stand top of north division one with two wins out of two.

A Blackpool Seconds side without substitutes played out a dramatic 3-3 draw away to their Liverpool University counterparts.

A home side determined to bounce back from a 5-0 defeat took an early lead, which they doubled after Blackpool’s striker received a red card for violent conduct.

Harrison Stott, Sam Robinson and man of the match Ollie Thomlinson led the Blackpool fightback as Adam George pulled one back with the last touch of the first half.

Liverpool restored their two-goal advantage soon after the break but Blackpool were boosted by the arrival of David Wright.

Sam Robinson finished a fine move, then with less than three minutes to go Blackpool equalised.

Despite Liverpool’s late pressure, it was Blackpool who went closest to a winner.

Blackpool Thirds were unlucky to concede a last-minute winner at home to Lancaster and Morecambe Thirds in division six north north.

Blackpool’s Dan Howe limped off after just a minute, but whenever Lancaster took the lead they found a way back.

Mike Sharp scored two and Oli McVicor the other as Blackpool battled back to 3-3 only to suffer last-gasp agony. Will Pickles and Joe Neath impressed in midfield.

n Blackpool Ladies suffered a 7-0 defeat away to Windermere in Lancashire Central division one.

The Cumbrians were an unknown quantity to Blackpool but they attacked and defended strongly, opening the scoring early.

Blackpool did mount attacks in the first half but could not break through a solid defence.

The visitors couldn’t stem the flow of goals in the second half as Windermere shot on sight.

Blackpool Seconds recorded their first win of the season in division two without lifting a stick.

Scheduled visitors Preston Thirds were unable to raise a side and so Blackpool were awarded a 5-0 victory.