Hockey round-up: Blackpool, Lytham, Rossall

Blackpool Men returned to the top of North West division one with a 3-2 home win over Liverpool Sefton.

Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 12:27 am
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 4:38 pm
Blackpool's Sam Bury clears his lines

Boasting a healthy squad of 15 for the first time this season, Blackpool carved out a number of chances, with Steve Whitley and Simon Thomas the chief architects.

Blackpool took the lead when Dave Morgan was first to react to Jordan Payne’s rebounded shot. They could have scored more but for an in-form Liverpool Sefton goalkeeper.

They finally found a way past him when Whitley set up Ian Swaine for his first goal of the season.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Minutes later, Blackpool made it three when left-back Sam Bury found himself in space at the top of the area and his powerful strike gave the goalkeeper no chance.

A defensive lapse five minutes before half-time gave Liverpool Sefton a lifeline at 3-1.

Blackpool missed a number of chances in the second half, then Liverpool Sefton won a series of penalty corners, scoring their second with 10 minutes left.

Blackpool managed to see out the closing moments for three well-earned points.

Blackpool 2 remain unbeaten in North West four north after a 4-1 win away to West Derby 2.

Blackpool started slowly and a bobbling shot gave the hosts the lead, which they held until half-time.

Blackpool came out all guns blazing and equalised with a skilful strike by Chris Hocking, who found the bottom corner after beating three players.

Adam George then put Blackpool ahead after a one-two with Hocking.

And after Mike Sharp made it 3-1 with a penalty flick, West Derby had to throw caution to the wind.

They left themselves vulnerable at the back and Niall Bancroft made a break for George to seal victory with his second goal. Excellent debutant Will Pickles was named man of the match.

Blackpool 3 capped a fine day for the club with a 5-0 home win over their winless Leyland and Chorley counterparts in division six north north.

Joe Neath controlled the midfield from the off and Blackpool attacked in waves only for Leyland’s young keeper to make some tremendous saves.

The deadlock was broken just before half-time, when Martin Hayes’ shot was deflected in from a long corner.

The floodgates opened in the second half as Blackpool camped in Leyland’s half and Hayes scored his second with a shot on the turn.

Matt Atherton had a penalty flick saved but Blackpool soon added a third, Keiffer Earnshaw firing into the roof of the net after a storming run by Peter Lorimer.

Hayes completed his hat-trick and man of the match Joe Neath rounded off the scoring with a shot from the top of the D.