Old Links snatch a final spot

Have your say

ST Annes Old Links will take on Lancaster in the final of the Fylde Amateur League knockout cup early next month.

The two scratch teams made it to the decider in very contrasting fashion.

While Old Links scored a whitewash 6-0 victory over Fleetwood, Fairhaven suffered the misfortune of going out to Lancaster in over-time in a sudden-death play-off in fast-fading light.

The final will take place at a venue to be decided on June 4.

Despite the emphatic nature of the scoreline, home team Old Links had to be at their best against a Fleetwood side that still gave a good account of themselves.

Fleetwood had experience in the form of Carl Smith and Paul Anderton, while Alex Croston and Michael Zworts supplied the promise of youth.

Bob McLean got Old Links off to a good start, while Sam Crowther showed his undoubted class in a relatively comfortable win in match two.

Skipper Brian Dickie enthused: “Sam is going to be some player and shows that our assembly line of talent is still productive.”

In match three, Colin Greenall beat Zworts.

Dickie remarked: “Colin seems to be as competitive at scratch golf as he was as a professional footballer.”

The consistent Richard Galley and Alex Snape both recorded fine wins.

The performance of the evening, however, was probably that of Simon Denye, who beat the impressive Croston in a fierce battle with both players under par at the end.

Dickie said: “All in all, it was an excellent performance from the team, who are now determined to avenge last year’s extra time loss in the same competition.”

Results (Old Links names first): Bob McLean beat Paul Rayner 2 and 1; Sam Crowther beat Simon Alder 4 and 3; Colin Greenall beat Michael Zworts 3 and 2; Alex Snape beat Paul Anderton, 1-up; Richard Galley beat Carl Smith 5 and 4; Simon Denye beat Alex Croston 2-up.

Fairhaven’s home semi-final with Lancaster could hardly have been tighter.

At the end of the six matches, there was nothing to split the teams, so at 3-3 it went into a sudden-death play-off in which Fairhaven skipper Darren Carlisle took on Lancaster’s Mike Hanson.

In the match proper Carlisle had won his match 2 and 1, resulting in the match going into overtime, involving the two players.

The first hole was halved, and so the match went to the second extra hole, a par three.

Carlisle missed a putt from 10 feet, while Hanson holed for a birdie two from five feet to win the contest.

Carlisle said: “It was getting so dark by the time we finished that we would have struggled to go to an extra hole.

“Mike had birdied the same hole earlier on, so it’s one he would like to take around with him!”

Scores (Fairhaven names first): Alex Leung beat Sam Lavelle 2 and 1; Mark Lewis lost to Adam Stone 7 and 5; David Gregory lost to Toby Roberts 4 and 3; Lee Williams lost to Daniel Sefton 2-down; Lee Majors beat Kit Rockerby 5 and 4; Darren Carlisle beat Mike Hanson 2 and 1.