Gemma hat-Trickett at it again for leaders

editorial image
Have your say

Lytham Ladies stayed top of the league with an impressive 5-0 victory over Southport Ladies.

Natasha Singleton and Sophia Crawshay made strong runs from the off and Gemma Trickett opened the scoring with a quick deflection.

Keeper Clare Turner had to make several saves from penalty corners to preserve the lead, which Trickett doubled frm close range just before half-time.

Hazel Cockerill marked her opponent out of the game and Trickett completed her hat-trick.

Crawshay netted the fourth following a fine run and Kate Gledhill beat two before unleashing a reverse stick shot to complete a very satisfying win.

Blackpool Ladies failed to take their chances at home to Preston Seconds and lost 4-0 despite excellent running by Lauren Burrell and good midfield displays by Kandy Chamberlain and Sally Kelly.

Blackpool Seconds halted a run of defeats with a 5-1 victory over Lytham Thirds.

Gemma Prestwich opened the scoring after 20 minutes, when Christy Martin’s shot was blocked by the keeper and rebounded for Gemma Prestwich to score. Lytham equalised but Blackpool were soon back in front when Prestwich scored her second following Martin’s run from halfway.

Lynsey Shewin made it 3-1 on the stroke of half-time following a cross by player of the match Jenny Deery. Blackpool sealed victory in the second half with two Lauren Harkness goals, while Gill Arbuckle was outstanding in midfield.

Grace Reddy and Abi Eagles were on top form in midfield for Lytham, while Mary Aldersley defended well.

Rachel Casey returned to captain Lytham Seconds, who collected their first point of the season with a goalless draw away to Chorley & Leyland’s first team.

A newlook side gelled quickly, with Rosie Craven and Beth Grey marking well, though it took an excellent goal-line clearance from Linda Baxter to keep the scores level. Heidi Williams went closest in the second half, when Penny Pemberton made some vital tackles and Alex Lord ran strongly.

n Blackpool Men overcame Didsbury Northern 2-0 in a tough clash to remain one point off the lead in division four.

Northern made the brighter start but Ian Swaine opened the scoring with a shot on the rebound.

The Didsbury keeper made several top saves before Dave Morgan squared the ball for Swaine to make it 2-0 at half-time with a reverse stick shot.

Didsbury showed great determination after the restart but man of the match Nick Rainbow made some outstanding saves.

Morgan had a penalty saved but Blackpool protected their clean sheet, despite having Joe Boniface yellow-carded.

Blackpool can also look forward to a Lancashire Trophy final clash with Mossley Hill on February 27 after Manchester Trinity forfeited their semi-final.

Blackpool Seconds were 2-1 winners over GSK South Lakes on a horrible Cumbrian day.

The home keeper stood firm until Simon Allen’s shot found the bottom corner.

Paul Atherton sent the keeper the wrong way with a penalty to double the lead and Martin Hayes went close to a third, slicing his shot after rounding the keeper superbly. GSK fought back in the second half, pulling a goal back from a short corner, but the Blackpool defence stayed strong.

A young Blackpool Thirds team lost 3-0 at Alderley Edge despite a dozen top stops by keeper Dave Belshaw.

Chris Pickles, Josh Payne and debutant Josh Hughes also showed great promise.

Lytham Men lost 5-1 away to Sheffield Hallam Seconds, while the Second team played out a 2-2 draw with Keswick West Cumbria’s senior side.

Lytham Thirds lost 7-3 but gave a creditable display against second-placed Blackburn, pulling back to 5-3 before the home side sealed victory.

Lytham Fourths gave a much-improved performance against their Didsbury Northern counterparts but lost 3-0. Two goals just before half-time proved vital, though deputy captain John Muir and sweeper Andy Mellors defended well, with Aaron Gee solid in midfield.

Neil Landmanns went closest for Lytham from Tim Stewart’s cross.