Three is Fylde’s magic number

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

Ossett Albion 0, AFC Fylde 3

Fylde moved to the top of the Evo-Stik Division One North with this third straight 3-0 victory.

A second-half brace from Michael Barnes and an own goal by midfielder Kurtis Noble secured a third win in eight days over Yorkshire opposition.

In a frustrating first half for Fylde, it was Ossett who had the early chances.

The first came inside three minutes, when Daniel Naidole’s shot went wide, but 13 minutes later it took a clearance off the line to deny captain Alex Ferguson.

After 20 minutes, Fylde began to dominate possession and won a free-kick on the edge of the box for a foul on Dave Swarbick. Paul Jarvis’ set-piece effort hit the post.

Ritchie Allen was having a lively game at the centre of Fylde’s attack and plenty of chances came his way, but unfortunately he just could not buy a goal on the day.

His best chance came after 28 minutes, when Allen found himself one-on-one with the Ossett keeper but shot wide when it looked easier to score.

Eight minutes later, Barnes whipped in another cross which just eluded a diving Swarbrick’s head.

The sides went in level at the break but not before Naidole had another attempt from long range for the home side, but his shot sailed high and wide.

The Coasters came out all guns blazing for the second half and should have scored within six minutes. Allen had two attempts within a minute but was unsuccessful with both. However, the deadlock was finally broken in the 58th minute. Barnes collected a back-heeled through ball from Matt Kay wide on the left and ran into the box before side-footing the ball past the diving keeper.

Four minutes later, Fylde were two up and it was Barnes who struck again.

Swarbrick found a way into the Ossett area and unselfishly squared the ball to Barnes, who had enough time to control it before firing his shot home.

Fylde were dominating the play and the third goal came with 16 minutes left.

Kay’s cross from the right sailed through to Barned on the left, whose cross also reached Kay on the far side.

The third cross had its intended result, though it was an Ossett head that connected and knocked the ball in from close range. There was still time for Kay to force a save from the keeper from a free-kick and Ossett had a couple of chances towards the end to grab a consolation.

However, it was Fylde who went home with all three points and another clean sheet.

Fylde boss Kelham O’Hanlon was frustrated with the way his team started the game but was delighted by the end. The manager said: “To win 3-0 away from home is always a good result and the lads did well in the second half to up the tempo on a bobbly pitch.”

Fylde bid to make it four wins out of four at home to Mossley tomorrow night (7.45pm).

AFC Fylde: Whiteside, McNiven, Jarvis, Mercer Steel, Stopforth (Wilson 79), Booth, Kay, Allen, Swarbrick (Waddington 66), Barnes (Penswick); not used: Thorpe, Stringfellow.