No Kidding – Fleetwood are marching on and on

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

Kidderminster 0 Fleetwood Town 2

Fleetwood Town overcame a tough opposition and tricky pitch thanks to two second-half goals in the space of eight minutes by Andy Mangan and Richard Brodie.

Town made two changes from Tuesday’s last-gasp win over Grimsby as Lee Fowler and Junior Brown made way for Richard Brodie and Alan Goodall.

It was a shaky start for both teams as the pitch played a huge factor on the game, with Town keeper Scott Davies troubled by a bobbling back-pass after just two minutes.

It took seven minutes for the first real chance of the game, which fell to Kidderminster forward David Guinan. The No.9 ran straight through the centre but dragged his left-footed shot wide from 20 yards.

Kidderminster were creating the majority of chances in the opening 20 minutes, and Guinan found himself with his second opening of the game after Mickey Demetriou’s free-kick from the right created the chanc. However, Harriers could not capitalise.

A tactical substitution from Micky Mellon, strengthening the midfield by restoring Fowler after little over half an hour, resulted in Town creating their first chance of the game. Jamie Vardy’s shot was too hot to handle for Tony Breeden, who could only parry the ball to the feet of Mangan but the striker’s follow-up was blazed over.

The Harriers’ Steve Guinan, trying to make amends for his red card in the 5-2 Highbury defeat, found himself with a hat-trick of chances just before the break, when a good move ended with him forcing Davies into a superb reaction save on the line.

Kidderminster had been the better team in the goalless first half and remained so at the start of the second, when good work from Marvin Johnson down the left touchline saw him drive his shot across the face of goal, with nobody able to apply the finishing touch.

Luke Jones directed his header wide a little later from a well-directed corner.

Town found themselves in the lead on the 53rd minute, when Mangan scored his 17th league goal of the season.

Substitute Fowler played a key role, turning and setting up Mangan, who struck with his right-foot just inside the near post.

The league leaders scored again on the hour, after Brodie’s goal-bound effort inside the area deflected off Lee Vaughan before finding its way into the back of the net for the striker’s ninth of the season.

Peter Cavanagh tried to make it 3-0 with a left-footed curler but the ball went straight into the hands of Breeden, who was well positioned.

Harriers hit back when veteran midfielder Lee Hendrie’s cross found its way into the path of Guinan, who could only place his header straight at Davies when it looked easier to score.

Hendrie, a one-cap England international and former Seasiders loan player, had Davies in all sorts of trouble when his curling free-kick went narrowly wide of the post on 72 minutes.

Bradley had the final effort of the game in added time, when his dipping shot went marginally over the bar.

It was too late for Kidderminster as Town recorded a sixth successive win and third in seven days, watched by a crowd of 2,341, which included a hundred or so travelling Cod Army, who supported their side superbly despite live TV coverage.


Kidderminster: Breeden, Vaughan, Williams, Jones, Demetriou, Bradley, Byrn, Hendrie (Gittings 89), Guinan (Rowe 76), Malbon, Johnson (Wright 67); not used: Lyness, Marshall

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley, McNulty, Pond, Goodall, Cavanagh, McGuire, Brodie (Till 79), Mangan, Seddon (Fowler 32), Vardy; not used: Stephenson, Charnock, Vieira.

Ref: Robinson; Att: 2,341 .