Micky: We’re not Don yet

Shaun Beeley in action against Wimbledon
Shaun Beeley in action against Wimbledon
Share this article
Have your say

FLEETWOOD Town manager Micky Mellon refuses to be bowed by the magnitude of the task facing his side tonight in the second leg of the Blue Square Bet Premier play-off semi-final away to AFC Wimbledon

His side trail 2-0 from the first leg at Highbury and they are now faced with breaching the most stubborn defence in non-league football on their own ground tonight.

Wimbledon have conceded only three goals in 800 minutes of football – now Fleetwood have to find the net that many times in just 90 to get through to the play-off decider at the City Of Manchester Stadium.

It is a tall order, but Mellon is not waving the white flag – far from it.

“If we get the first goal, then the whole complexion of the tie changes, and it becomes a different game.

“We have to be patient and we can’t afford to be gung-ho early on.

“We can decide to throw the kitchen sink at them if and when that time comes.”

Mellon said the mood in the camp was upbeat, despite the side surrendering a two-goal advantage at Highbury on Friday.

“If we didn’t think we could pull it back, then we wouldn’t bother travelling down!

“We are looking forward and we can’t wait for it to start.”

Mellon has changes on his mind on the back of the first leg defeat.

He will be looking at the defence, which was slipshod in conceding the first goal on Friday, while the midfield did not get any kind of grip until far too late – and only fitfully did the strikers get into scoring positions, failing to capitalise on the dangerous runs of left wing-back Junior Brown.

Fleetwood had a training session at Queens Park Rangers ground in the run-up to the Wimbledon match – that is a regular stopping-off point when Fleetwood journey south.

Rangers’ coach Ronnie Jepson is a former Burnley team-mate of Mellon.

Town let the train take the strain on their journey to south west London and Mellon was impressed by their choice of transport.

An impressed Mellon said: “We will seriously consider whatever measures are available to ensure match preparation is spot on.”

The Fleetwood Town team bus met the squad at Euston before the onward journey to Queens Park Rangers training ground and the team hotel in Windsor.

Town chief executive Steve Curwood said the journey was just another example of Town moving forward.

“We’ve experienced several long coach journeys this season and have faced motorway delays.

“The train proves an effective use of time and the lads feel more refreshed.

“Instead of anything over 5 hours we were in London in just over 2 hours from Preston.”

--Fleetwood or Wimbledon will face Luton Town in the final after their 2-1 win against Wrexham last night. The result saw the Hatters win 5-2 over the two legs.