Mellon message is loud and clear

editorial image
Have your say

MANAGER Micky Mellon has called on Fleetwood Town supporters to play a crucial role in roaring his side into the play-offs.

Mellon’s men, who occupy the final play-off spot in the Blue Squre Bet Premier with four matches left, welcome third-bottom Altrincham to Highbury for their penultimate home match on Saturday.

The manager hailed the fans who made a round trip of over 650 miles for last weekend’s 6-0 win at Eastbourne, and hopes chairman Andy Pilley’s offer of free coach travel to play-off rivals Kidderminster a week tomorrow will encourage another bumper Cod Army turnout.

Mellon said: “The fans are massively important because we need all the support we can get. It was great to see such an impressive turnout of people who travelled such a long way to cheer us on.”

That Good Friday clash with Kidderminster may well prove decisive as the Harriers trail Town by just two points and have a game in hand.

But Mellon said: “At this moment the Altrincham game is the most important of the season for us. This next game is massive and we need to get some sort of result.

“First and foremost we have got to do our own job before we look at what anybody else is doing. We can’t do much more than keep on doing the business and winning games.”

The opening of the luxurious Parkside Suite in the new East Stand adds even more interest to Saturday’s big match and Mellon added: “With the Chairman putting facilities in for the supporters, it will be nice to see them all coming down and getting behind the team.

“Whenever you come out of the tunnel it’s always important to see a big number of fans cheering you on.”

*Fleetwood Town Under-18s were edged out 2-1 by Bolton County in the final of the Syndicate Trust Cup at Bamber Bridge last night.

An entertaining game started openly as Fleetwood’s Tyler Attack struck a 30-yard volley which had County keeper back-pedalling.

Striker Jo Higgins tested the keeper from Attack’s excellent flick and had a volley well saved after 18 minutes.

County countered as Gareth Colquitt’s header shaved the bar and the excellent Sakeel Abdullah’s cross forced Dom Amos to clear.

The deadlock was broken five minutes into the second half, when Ali Dickson’s free-kick from the left was met with a bullet header from captain Matthew Ormerod.

County were hungry for more and forced Jo Wheeler into a series of saves. Town almost restored parity when Michael McAlpine burst through from midfield only to see his shot well saved.

The equaliser arrived on 67 minutes, when tightly-marked substitute Leigh Clarke found space to curl a left-footed shot into the roof of the net from 20 yards.

However, Town were on terms for just three minutes before the impressive Dickson weaved through on the right and curled in a worthy matchwinning goal from the tightest of angles.

Jake Spailsbury went closest to another Town equaliser, seeing one effort cleared off the line and another shot trickle just wide.