Glory on menu for hungry Mark

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

QUILLIGANS have been crowned G Casino Blackpool & Fylde Sunday Alliance champions once again on a perfect day for manager Mark Spedding.

His son Jordan scored a hat-trick in the 5-0 victory over FC Loco which sealed the title. Stewart Diggle and Steve Ralston scored the others.

But it was the defenders who manager Spedding singled out for special praise: “We have only conceded nine goals all season in the league and four since Christmas.

“It has been a brilliant campaign and even better than last season statistically. We have played some excellent football and been beaten only once all season (in the Lancashire Cup).”

The club has won the title in 18 of the last 21 seasons and Spedding added: “The secret is never losing the hunger. Some people dine out on one title but we come back refreshed for every new season as if it is the first.”

This season is far from finished for Quilligans, who have next month’s Premier League and Gledhill Cup finals to look forward to against Devonshire Arms and Fleetwood Gym respectively

Devonshire are still challenging for the runners-up place after beating Blackpool Rangers 4-2 with a Mark Ashall double.

Also battling for second spot are Poulton, who face Greenlands in the Lancashire FA Sunday Trophy final against Greenlands in Leyland tonight.

Division one leaders Fleetwood Gym beat Golden Eagle 5-0 with Dean Richards netting three. Second-placed West Coast Tackle maintained their challenge after beating Uncle Toms Cabin 3-1, with Steve Seear Bobby Meikle and Warrick Hargreaves on target. The top two have a title showdown at Fleetwood on Sunday.

However, Bloomfield Vets’ hopes of honours ended with a 4-1 defeat by Great Eccleston, for whom Denis Pulford scored twice. Christ the King overcame Spindles 5-4, with Stephen Chantler and Bradley Gill both getting pairs for the winners and Daniel Howard netting twice too. Shovels and Additions shared the points 3-3, with Andrew Barrow and Sion Kenyon scoring double.

In the Division Two and Three Cup, Teamsport 90 beat Wrea Green in extra-time the tie was poised at 1-1, Conner Cooper and Andrew Thornley the scorers. Teamsport meet Tower Lounge in the final after they won 4-2 against Real Burlington, with Carl Bennett Scott McCabe Nick Devereaux and Chris Peace on their score sheet.

Tangerine Tavern maintained their lead at the top of division two after winning 5-0 against CTK, with Steve McEwan`s double leading their way.

Two goals from Pim Fracke clinched a 2-0 victory over Blackpool Catholic Club for second-placed Northern Care Colts, A hat trick from Steve Wright earned C & G Electrical a 6-0 win against Layton Institute.

Division three leaders Boars Head defeated St. Annes 3-1, with a Lee O`Neill pair and a Darren Smith goal. A last-minute goal gave FC Rangers a 3-3 draw with Mere Park. Liam Webb (2) and Nathan Lydon scored for FC and Anthony Kibbler, Calum McKenzie and new signing Nick McCluskey replied.

Stable Bar only need one point to take the division four title after winning 2-1 against D H Gas, with Stephen Miller and Chris Worden on target and Scott Lion replying.

Darren Worrall’s four goals and two from Kevin Fairhurst helped Xceptional Kitchens to a 7-4 success against Clifton Arms, with Tony Burke grabbing a hat-trick for Clifton.

Doubles from Michael Crossland and Paul Gaskell led the way for Sun Inn in their 7-0 defeat of Lane Ends Res. Stuart Wilson scored the only goal for Metrostars against CBFC Choice Furniture.