Fylde taken down to wire by Cables

Ritchie Allen strikes towards goal
Ritchie Allen strikes towards goal
Share this article
Have your say

AFC Fylde 1, Prescot Cables 1

A 90th-minute equaliser from Lee Thorpe salvaged a point for Fylde in a game they should have won.

The Coasters completely dominated play but a 40-yard lob by James Thomas five minutes from time looked like winning the game for Cables until Fylde’s veteran striker nudged the ball over the line in a goalmouth scramble.

Fylde wanted a vcitory to close the gap on runaway top two Curzon Ashton and Skelmersdale United, who were playing each other, but the dropped points mean Dave Challinor’s side have slipped out of the play-off zone in Evo-Stik First Division North.

They started well, creating some good chances as man of the match Glenn Steel’s header came back of the bar after nine minutes and a Joe Booth free-kick curled inches wide seven minutes later.

Soon afterwards, top scorer Ritchie Allen squandered the best chance of the half when he shot over from close range.

Booth then had a shot tipped round the post and Keigan Parker fired just wide of the right upright, while at the other end James McCulloch headed wide for Prescot.

Tthe Coasters remained on top in the second half but Prescot’s Steven Longrigg was proving unbeatable between the sticks.

Michael Barnes, Thorpe, Allen and Parker all probed for a breakthrough which proved elusive.

And the home side and their supporters were shocked when it was the home side who finally broke the deadlock.

The Prescot defence cleared as far as lone striker Thomas, who collected the ball on halfway, advanced ten yards and, seeing Zac Jones off his line, lobbed the keeper who got a hand to the ball on his home debut but could not keep it out.”

Fylde’s persistence was finally rewarded five minutes later. And after Thorpe equalised, Parker thought he had won it for Fylde three minutes into stoppage time but Longrigg managed to tip his shot over the bar.

Challinor was far from happy, saying: “It was two points lost for us today. We dominated the game and I think you can probably count on one hand the number of times they got into our penalty area.

“But credit to them, they came with a gameplan to sit back and they are quite within their right to do that.

“We’ve got a massive week coming up as we play three of the top teams, starting at Skelmersdale on Saturday, and it would have been nice to go into that game with a win.”


AFC Fylde: Jones, Heywood, Sumner, Mercer, Steel, B Barnes, Booth, Stopforth (Thorpe 58), Parker, M Barnes (Waddington 75), Allen; not used: McDonald, Doughty, Kay.