Blackpool and YMCA girls’ football review

editorial image

Blackpool FC Girls Under-16s continued their fine start to the season with a 6-0 home win over Dynamo Rangers.

They soon began to apply pressure as Leah Fielding fired an early chance over the bar before an Beth Stott’s low cross was turned into the Rangers net by an unfortunate defender for a third-minute own goal.

On a warm day, both teams were guilty of loose passes and clear chances were few until the 13th minute, when Ellie Spooner’s reverse pass gave Fielding the opportunity to take a defender on and produce a clinical finish.

Five minutes later the excellent Dynamo strike rattled the crossbar to remind everyone they were in the game.

The home side finished the half with a flourish as Beth Slater’s chip from a tight angle found the top left corner of the net,then in the closing seconds Fielding netted again following a through-ball from Spooner.

Gemma Thrower made an immediate impact on the second half, going close twice before Megan Eadie kept the visitors at bay with a timely interception.

Aleysha Montgomery and Thrower both brought saves from the keeper before excellent work from Molly McKenna saw her beat two players before playing in Spooner, who in turn fed Thrower for a fine finish into the bottom left corner on 46 minutes.

Thrower again went close before producing a collector’s item when heading home Spooner’s 50th-minute corner.

It was clear the visitor’s would not capitulate as Webster made two good saves and Laura Burnell made a crucial interception as the girls endeavoured to achieve the clean sheet craved by coach Mac Barlow.

McKenna, Fielding and Thrower all had efforts well saved before the referee’s whistle brought an end to an entertaining game. Spooner was named player of the match for her influential display in the centre of midfield.

YMCA Under-16 had to start their nine-side game away to Bolton Academy in the North Valley and Burnley Unity League with only seven players due to traffic problems.

And Bolton took full advantage by netting five goals in the first 15 minutes before YMCA eventually got up to full strength.

Had it not been for some fantastic goalkeeping by Ellie Doolan and some gutsy defending the deficit could have been much higher at half-time.

YMCA started to press after the restart and forced the Academy keeper into some fine saves but they were also guilty of sloppy finishing.

As they pushed forward trying to get on to the score sheet, the home side broke away twice in the closing minutes to add to their tally for a 7-0 victory.