AFC Fylde 1 Nantwich Town 2

Danny Lloyd for Fylde
Danny Lloyd for Fylde
Share this article
Have your say

The Coasters slipped to a first defeat in five matches as Nantwich Town denied them the chance to close the gap on league-leaders Skelmersdale United, coming from behind to win at Kellamergh Park last night.

Fylde started well with Danny Lloyd giving the home side a 10th minute lead and they went on to dominate the first half.

But a penalty converted by Aaron Burns on 70 minutes levelled the match before his acrobatics on the edge of Fylde area six minutes later won the visitors a free kick from which Ben Deegan was on hand to tap in the lose rebound.

After Bradley Barnes tried to continue his recent goal scoring run, hitting the side netting in the first minute, Fylde dominated and eventually had their reward with just 10 minutes on the clock.

Lloyd, looking lively again as the lone striker in the middle of the front three, converted a move straight from the training ground. Sumner squared a free kick into his path and a first-time shot nestled perfectly into the bottom corner.

Jack Dorney won the free kick for The Coasters, but had to go off soon after as he had picked up an injury from the foul.

Nantwich had two quick chances to equalise when Burns forced a save from Hinchliffe before trying a chip from the edge of the area which was no problem for the Fylde keeper.

Michael Barnes sent a blistering shot at goal on 28 minutes which Nantwich keeper Jack Cudworth did well to keep hold off on his line.

And then a minute before the break Lloyd almost put the icing on the cake of a fine passing move started by Hinchliffe, but Cudworth was equal to his effort.

Lloyd had another great chance to double Fylde’s advantage two minutes into the second half, doing well to beat the offside trap to go through one-on-one with the keeper. However, he could only scuff his shot wide of the post.

On 54 minutes, Lloyd was at it again after some good build-up play from Fylde 
allowed him to have two 
attempts on goal – the first was blocked by a defender and his second effort was well saved by Cudworth.

From then on, Nantwich got back into the game and from their first real foray 
into Fylde’s box in the half, they won a free kick when Matty Hughes was deemed to have pushed a Nantwich player in the box and a penalty was awarded.

Burns converted the spot kick and Nantwich were level with 20 minutes to go.

Six minutes later they had the lead. Burns broke from half way and was brought down inches outside the box by Hughes, who received a booking from female referee Helen Byrne.

From the resulting free kick, Max Harrop’s curling shot was parried by Hinchliffe only as far as Deegan, who was on hand to tap it in from close range.

Then, with time running out for AFC Fylde, it was Nantwich who had the last meaningful say as Deegan missed the chance to bag his second when he won the ball off Hughes inside the area and Hinchliffe had to be at full stretch to push his shot over the bar.

Fylde assistant manager Colin Woodthorpe was disappointed with the result, saying “I said at half time that there was still life in the game, as it was to pretty evenly matched in the first half.

“You try and remain positive at half time, but they’ve played enough games to know that could all change in the second half.”

Up next for The Coasters is the trip to Matlock Town on Saturday when they will hope to regain some ground on Skelmersdale United and Chorley who are now above them in the table.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin (Mahon 71), Sumner, M. Hughes (C), Russell, C. Hughes, B. Barnes, Dorney (Booth 14), Lloyd, M. Barnes, Denson; Subs not used: Winter, Duffield, Charnley.