Hylton: Blackpool never looked like scoring

Downbeat Luton Town striker Danny Hylton believes his side were "cruising" to victory in their play-off semi-final clash against Blackpool.

Friday, 19th May 2017, 2:29 pm
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 10:03 pm
Danny Hylton tussles for the ball with Jack Payne

With 14 minutes left on the clock, the Hatters were 3-1 up on the night and 5-4 ahead on aggregate.

However Blackpool substitute Armand Gnanduillet levelled the tie overall after beating goalkeeper Stuart Moore to the ball to head into an empty net before Pool clinched it at the death courtesy of Moore's own goal.

Hylton revealed the keeper had apologised to his team-mates for his error in judgement after the full-time whistle, saying: “It was a bit mad from Stuey, he’s held his hands up after the game. He came for a ball he never needed to come for.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“There’s no way he’s going to score from a header from there if Stu’s in his goal.

"Of course he’s down, we’re all down, as we just needed to stay calm and keep doing what we were doing.

"We were cruising through the game, they never looked like scoring, never looked like doing anything."

Despite the magnitude of the error, Hylton felt the blame should be shared among the whole side, as the striker himself missed a golden chance to make it 4-1 on the night.

Hylton had earlier been embroiled in controversy after going down in the box to earn his side a penalty despite there appearing to be very little contact.

He stepped up himself to put his side 3-1 ahead.

Hylton added: "Stu came out, okay he made a mistake, but I missed chances, it just happens that when you’re a goalie they get highlighted a little bit more.

"He’s been brilliant the last eight or nine games, so we can’t blame him.

"He had a tricky start when it’s hard to come on loan, made a mistake in the first game he played, but when he started playing he was terrific, so no-one’s pointing the finger at Stu.

“He made a mistake, it was still 3-2, we were still in the game. We didn’t defend well enough on the last corner and it’s gone in, so we’ll have to pick ourselves up and go again.”