Fleetwood 3 Doncaster 1

Keith Southern is in the Fleetwood squad
Keith Southern is in the Fleetwood squad
Share this article
Have your say

Fleetwood Town found their scoring form with a dazzling win over Doncaster Rovers.

Town were transformed by the return of Conor McLaughlin and the presence of Stephen Dobbie at the point of their midfield diamond and played with pace and width from the off.

And they were soon rewarded, Gareth Evans winning the ball in Rovers territory and feeding David Ball.

Liam McAlinden’s attempted flick was blocked but the ball ran free for Dobbie to rifle home.

The lead didn’t last long.

Nathan Tyson hardly impressed on his Highbury loan spell last season but sent Doncaster level just after the quarter hour, his heavily deflected shot bamboozling Chris Maxwell in the Fleetwood goal.

Richie Wellens came close to blasting the visitors ahead as Graham Alexander’s men wobbled.

But they hauled themselves back into the lead before the break.

Ball again was involved, this time fed by Conor McLaughlin, his low cross was tapped home by McAlinden for his first Highbury goal.

Stephen Crainey got his face in the way of a James Coppinger blast to make sure the lead was taken into the interval.

And Town could have added to it early in the second half.

Forwards were queing up but it was Dobbie who eventually applied the finish after a smart run by Evans, Jed Steer with a vital save.

At the other end Chris Maxwell’s outstretched arm denied Tyson a second but it was Fleetwood creating the majority of chances.

Ball should have been rewarded for his endevours when he found space around the penalty spot, Steer with an athletic block to deny the Town man.

And the Donny keeper was called into action again, twice to deny Dobbie - the first a 20 yard blast pushed away, the second a save with feet following Crainey’s deep cross to the back post.

Doncaster took a more aggressive tack in a bid to level the match.

But it was Steer who kept Fleetwood from running away with it, the Rovers keeper with three superb saves to deny Ball and Dobbie from close range.

But he couldn’t hold back the tide and Fleetwood bagged a third with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Dobbie picked out the run of McAlinden, Ball backheeling his low cross into the bottom corner.

It was time to give Keith Southern a first run in Fleetwood colours, his first action to concede a foul which nearly opened the door for Donny

Kyle Bennett’s free kick made it past the Fleetwood wall, Maxwell flying to his right to tip the ball round the post.

Nathan Pond could have sealed it when he found himself unmarked at the back post from a Josh Morris corner, neither the defender or striker McAlinden able to power the ball through a crowded box.

There was just time for Jeff Hugehs to make a welcome return, his first first team action since January a five minute cameo as Town saw out a crucial win.