Fleetwood 0 Bradford 2

Stephen Dobbie
Stephen Dobbie
Share this article
Have your say

Fleetwood Town were again made to rue missed first half chances at they took a Boxing Day beating off Bradford City.

Town, after a brief opening offensive by the visitors took control of the game but couldn’t turn clear chances into all-important goals.

Stephen Dobbie was more guilty than most of wasting opporunities, blasting wide after he was sent clean through by Proctor, failing to test Jordan Pickford when an open goal beckoned again minutes later.

He wasn’t the only guilty party - Jamie Proctor, full of endevour, failed to stretch out a leg to turn home Dobbie’s shot after a superb one-two between Conor McLaughlin and Antoni Sarcevic, Josh Morris blazing wide after cutting neatly into the box and leaving defenders in his wake.

Danny Andrew too had an opportunity, a curling effort just failing to dip inside the angle.

His exit through injury proved crucial in Bradford’s opener.

Stephen Crainey was far from ready for action, taking two minutes to join the action after Andrew limped off.

His first defensive duty was to stop Mark Yeates in his track, the experienced full-back left in the midfielder’s wake, a looped ball over Maxwell setting up James Hanson who had the simplest of tasks to head home.

Bradford put up the shutters after the break, the game less open and slower in pace suiting the visitors.

Town were being forced to fight but could have levelled in spectacular fashion when Proctor drove one from 20 yards, his effort slamming against the back post with Pickford absolutely beaten.

At the other end Maxwell made a fine save to deny Stead as the Bantams stretched Fleetwood on the break.

Phil Parkinson was lucky to avoid being sent to the stands when he pushed McLaughlin after a sliding touchline challenge.

Tempers were fraying and in the chaos Bradford doubled their advantage.

A pacey break from Stead who ripped Fleetwood open down the Bradford left, his cross was left by Hanson, Morais, at the back post slamming the ball past a scrambling Maxwell.

It was game over, Town shackled and frustrated for the remainder of the afternoon - the home crowd heading for the exit as Graham Alexander’s men lost their grip on a play-off chase.