We’ve spent £46.8m on players in four years, Oyston

Karl Oyston
Karl Oyston
0
Have your say

Karl Oyston has hit back at claims he’s not reinvested the club’s Premier League windfall.

Blackpool received a £90m jackpot when Ian Holloway’s side were promoted back in 2010.

And the Seasiders’ chairman says he’s already spent £46.8m of the money on bringing players to Bloomfield Road.

“In the last four seasons, in players wages, payments to agents and transfer fees, we’ve spent £46.8m,” said Oyston.

“So it’s hardly been trousered, we have spent a lot of money, we’ve also paid a lot of tax.

“I’ve said it before, if we want to buy players and strengthen this club, then we can.

“That’s the enviable position we find ourselves in.”

Blackpool’s supporters have recently protested against the chairman’s running of the club.

Since Holloway’s departure in 2012, Pool have suffered a terrible time, going through three managers and tumbling back down the Championship table.

It’s prompted criticism of Oyston, although he insists he is committed to getting things back on course.

He said: “I’ve always said stability is the most important thing, and I stand by that, even those we’ve had a few years of horrific instability. I still think that’s what we need to work towards.

“Stability is massively, massively important. There’s less stability in football generally, it’s not just here, it’s something the industry needs to deal with.

“As far as backing managers and bringing players in, that’s what we do.

“I think we do well with that.”

Oyston’s tight control over finances always draws criticism from the club’s supporters.

But he insists he’s not intending to change any time soon.

“We are never going to get the big crowds to match the other clubs, so we are always going to have to do things a bit differently, just to compete,” he explained.

“We’ve got money behind us and we aren’t bound by the financial fair play rules like other clubs.

“We can’t decry a policy which has given us success and got us to where we are, and has worked.

“That’s one of the main thrusts of the conversation with Paul Ince and Alex Rae on the Sunday before we sacked them.

“They wanted to go away from our principles which has given us success for 15 years.

“Nothings changed in football in the last year which would start making me want to dish out three-year contracts on £15,000-a-week. If people think that’s the only way of guaranteeing quality, well it isn’t.”

The chairman, speaking at a Blackpool Supporters’ Association meeting, spoke for the first time about Thomas Ince’s move to Crystal Palace.

The 22-year-old joined the Premier League side on loan until the end of the season. Something which Oyston says was the best outcome for everyone. He said: “There was no way Tom was going to stay, he was always being manoeuvred out the door.

“We could have made him stay until the end of the season, but we are far better doing what we’ve done. He was never going to sign a new contract with us.”

“We had to give them permission to talk to other clubs as they would have just done it behind our backs anyway.

“People will always try and force our hands and I think their camp were telling people we were trying to force them out.

“But that’s gone now and we did very well out of it. From our point of view we’ve managed to avoid the lose-lose situation which could have seen him do nothing until the end of the season then clearing off abroad.

“We did a very good deal with Palace, and by letting him do so, lessened the likelihood of him going abroad because if he does well there will be more interest.”

l Latvian defender Vitalijs Smirnovs played 90 minutes for Blackpool’s reserves yesterday.

The 27-year-old caught the eye at the heart of the defence in a behind-closed doors 1-0 defeat against Crewe.

Watching boss Barry Ferguson was able to cast an eye over Nathan Eccleston, Nathan Tyson and Neal Bishop, who all featured. American Freddy Adu limped off with an injury on 65 minutes.