Two-goal GTF helped team by going solo

Gary Taylor-Fletcher celebrates his first goal against Doncaster.
Gary Taylor-Fletcher celebrates his first goal against Doncaster.
Share this article
Have your say

NOTHING to do with romance, but Gary Taylor-Fletcher revealed his Valentine’s Day brace was down to a spot of TLC.

The Seasiders frontman scored a double to remember at Doncaster – a cool finish for his first followed by a brilliant mazy run and low shot into the bottom corner.

But the secret was a little tender loving care from a manager who has nursed Taylor-Fletcher through a few injury problems.

The 30-year-old said: “I have been feeling my back every so often and my hamstring a little.

“With a bit of help from the physio Phil Horner and the gaffer, I’ve been doing my own thing a couple of days a week instead of training.

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.

“I have been doing a separate class where I concentrate on strengthening work, and it has helped a lot. I am not getting the niggles I was and I can only say thank you to the manager for allowing me the time to do something different – it is paying off.

“I was feeling (the injury) a bit in the second half, though, and that’s why I came off fairly early.

“It was 2-1 and I was struggling to run back properly.

When that’s the case you are a hindrance to the team.

“We still have quite a few games left, and I’d rather be playing in them than watching, so I think it was a sensible decision to come off and give someone else who could run a go.”

Taylor-Fletcher couldn’t resist a jokey dig at the boss regarding the possible cause of his injury woes.

“I’m going to tell the gaffer this back problem has been caused by too much sitting on the subs’ bench recently,” he smiled. “I clearly need to start games!”

There is every chance of that happening after the striker notched his first brace in a Blackpool shirt since the 3-0 win at Middlesbrough in December 2009, taking his tally for this season to seven.

GTF said: “Neal Eardley’s pass for the first was fantastic. He can make passes like that all day long and he put it on a plate for me.

“I thought I might get clattered by the keeper but he didn’t come and I put it in the back of the net. For the second goal, everything went for me. I did a little nutmeg to get past the first defender, gave the keeper the eyes and put it near post. It was a great goal.

“But it got a bit too easy then, I think, and I wouldn’t say we got carried away but we maybe got a little complacent.

“We let them back in it, and at half-time everyone was panicking and starting to lose their heads.

“You just have to calm down and remember what got us the success in the first place. To get the third goal and kill the game off was superb. It was a massive win for us.”