Thommo fuming as Ince awaits news on FA charge

Paul Ince with Millwall boss Steve Lomas last night
Paul Ince with Millwall boss Steve Lomas last night
Have your say

Steve Thompson described the controversial decision to award Millwall a penalty on the stroke of half-time last night as a “kick in the teeth”.

Pool were in control at the New Den and led courtesy of a Tom Ince goal when referee Stephen Bratt stunned Pool by awarding a penalty against Isaiah Osbourne for handball.

The Seasiders went on to suffer their first Championship defeat of the season after the club’s best ever start to a league campaign – five wins and a draw from their first six games – and dropped from first to third in the table.

Blackpool manager Paul Ince, who expects to learn today whether he will face further action after being sent to the stands at Bournemouth on Saturday, again chose not to speak to the media after last night’s match.

But assistant manager Thompson did speak out and insisted the penalty award changed the game.

He said: “We were disappointed in the manner of the defeat. There’s never a good time to concede, but to concede a goal how we did just before the break was difficult.

“We looked at the decision and it was nowhere near a handball.”

“Isaiah (Osbourne) went to ground and kicked it away with his foot.

“You can see blatantly it’s not handball.

“That got their tails up for the second half. It’s one of those decisions which was a real kick in the teeth.

“They came out with fire in their bellies after the break and it was difficult for us.

“It was nowhere near his hand, that’s the real frustrating thing.

“We didn’t seem to get going in the second half, we just didn’t flow.”

The FA have received referee Oliver Langford’s report on Saturday’s win at Bournemouth, which saw Ince sent off after a home supporter was accidentally struck on the leg by a water bottle thrown to the ground by the Blackpool boss.

The manager apologised immediately before being asked to leave the dugout by the referee.

The issue could become more severe should media reports suggesting there was a further incident in the players’ tunnel after the game prove true.

Local press on the south coast reported that Ince and his coaching staff were involved in a confrontation with the officials.

If Ince is found guilty, he would face a touchline ban and a hefty fine after being given a final warning over comments he made about the referee following the Capital One Cup defeat against Preston.

Ince was in the dugout at Millwall but chose to maintain his silence afterwards.