Poor Pool hammered at home

Blackpool's Gary Taylor-Fletcher (centre right) and Wigan Athletic's Mohamed Diame
Blackpool's Gary Taylor-Fletcher (centre right) and Wigan Athletic's Mohamed Diame
Share this article
Have your say

BLACKPOOL’S attempts to beat the drop were dealt a massive blow as they fell to a 3-1 defeat

against Wigan.

Ian Holloway’s men produced one of their worst performances of the season as they gifted the

visitors their opening two goals and never got going as an attacking force.

Wigan got off to a flier when Hugo Rodallega fired past Matt Gilks with less than three minutes on

the clock.

The visitors were gifted the goal though, after Pool conceded possession with a free kick that

almost beggared belief. Craig Cathcart rolled the ball straight to a Wigan player, then slipped on his

backside as he attempted to chase back. Rodallega, meanwhile, ran clear and nutmegged Gilks

with a neat finish.

Pool failed to put together a meaningful attack for the remainder of the half. They just weren’t at the

races, completely off-the-pace and seemingly unable to get their usual free-flowing, attacking

football going.

There was a chink of brightness moments before the break when Keith Southern let fly from 20

yards. The shot went over but at least it was a shot.

However, seconds later the afternoon went from bad to worse when Pool again conceded, in first

half stoppage time.

Charlie Adam was guilty of losing the ball in midfield and Charles N’Zogbia took full advantage by

charging away from Cathcart and Ian Evatt and slotting the ball quite beautifully past a rooted Gilks.

Brilliant finish by N’Zogbia but more poor play from the Seasiders.

It didn’t improve in the second half, Pool huffing and puffing but making little progress.

Holloway took action by making a triple substitution, bringing on Matt Phillips, Jason Puncheon and

James Beattie for Gary Taylor-Fletcher, Luke Varney and Elliot Grandin.

But it didn’t have the desired effect as Wigan effectively wrapped up the points on 66 minutes when

Mohammed Diame made it 3-0.

The midfielder let fly from the edge of the area and the ball deflected off Neal Eardley and past

Gilks. A fluke, but it summed up how the day went.

Pool did get a consolation seven minutes from the end when Eardley’s free kick was blocked,

Phillips crossed the loose ball into the danger area, and DJ Campbell showed good movement to

get ahead of his marker and poke the ball past Al Habsi and into the bottom corner.

Phillips tested Al Habsi with a left-footer but it was all fairly comfortable for Wigan on what was a

hugely bleak and disappointing afternoon for those in tangerine.

BLACKPOOL: Gilks, Eardley, Cathcart, Evatt, Crainey, Southern, Adam, Grandin, Taylor-Fletcher,

Campbell, Varney. Subs: Rachubka, Kornilenko Eardley, Ormerod, Phillips, Reid, Beattie

WIGAN: Al Habsi, Gohouri, Alcaraz, McCarthy, Caldwell, Watson, N’Zogbia, Cleverley, Boyce,

Rodallega, Diame. Subs: Pollitt, Di Santo, Moses, Gomez, Sammon, Stam, Lopez

REF: Peter Walton (Northampton)