Pool miss again with Pott shot

Carlisle United's Brad Potts
Carlisle United's Brad Potts
Share this article
Have your say

Blackpool have again failed in their ongoing attempts to sign Carlisle midfielder Brad Potts.

The Seasiders bid £150,000 for the 20-year-old on deadline day only to see the offer rejected just hours before the transfer window closed.

With the market again open for loan deals, Pool boss Lee Clark revealed last week that the Seasiders had moved in for an unnamed player, who The Gazette understand to be Potts, with the view to a permanent deal in the summer.

Clark said Pool are willing to wait until the summer to get their man and it sounds as though they may well have to.

Carlisle boss Keith Curle sounds adamant he will be staying.

“I think Blackpool did come in to make an offer to take Brad on loan,” he revealed.

“Basically it was the same offer that we rejected when they tried to take him permanently. The pleasing thing is, the same answer was no.

“So nothing’s changed with Blackpool’s approach and nothing’s changed from our answer.”

The England U19 international is in his third season at Brunton Park and has scored six goals in 28 League Two appearances this season.

He is out of contract in the summer but would command a compensation fee due to his age.

Clark’s search for midfielders may be accelerated by injuries to two players.

Mark Waddington could be out of the rest of the season, while Andrea Orlandi is nursing a thigh strain.

The 18-year-old Waddington broke into the first team after Christmas but was forced to sit out three matches last month after refusing to commit his future to the club.

And his luck is showing no signs of changing as he fell heavily in training on Friday and scans revealed a broken metatarsal.

Clark said: “Mark has broken a bone in his foot in training and looks like he will be ruled out for the season.

“I’m really frustrated for him as he’ll probably have to get it pinned.

“He was going to start against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.”

Orlandi managed to complete the full 90 minutes in the dramatic 4-4 home draw with Forest but spent the last few minutes limping heavily.

The Spaniard is awaiting the results of a scan, though it’s feared he could have damaged a thigh muscle.

The 30-year-old, who scored Pool’s second goal on Saturday, explained: “Near the end I pulled my muscle, but I hope it is not serious and I hope to be back as soon as possible.

“I also got a very hard knock to my hip in the first half and now all my body hurts like mad.”