Owen Oyston's 'investor' Jonathan Disley meets with Blackpool Supporters' Trust

Jonathan Disley pictured with Owen Oyston at Blackpool's game at Wycombe on Saturday
Jonathan Disley pictured with Owen Oyston at Blackpool's game at Wycombe on Saturday

Blackpool Supporters’ Trust have announced they recently met with Jonathan Disley - the man who joined Owen Oyston for his meeting with Valeri Belokon in Latvia last month.

READ MORE: BST appeal to Owen Oyston to speak out over rumoured Blackpool deal with 'King of Marbella'

The meeting, instigated by the man who describes himself as the 'King of Marbella', took place on Wednesday with three representatives from the Trust.

Disley, a businessman from Herefordshire with offices in Preston, has been in talks with Oyston for several weeks about a potential investment in the club and has been pictured at several of Blackpool’s recent games including their season opener at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

While the nature of the proposed investment remains unclear, it is understood it could involve Oyston taking out a third-party loan which would likely involve huge interest payments.

It has also been rumoured that the deal could involve Disley taking a majority share of Blackpool Football Club Properties (Limited) - the Oyston-owned company formerly known as Segesta that has the controlling stake in the football club.

In a statement released tonight, BST said: "Yesterday evening BST representatives met with Jonathan Disley.

"The specifics of Mr Disley's possible involvement in Blackpool FC are subject to a non-disclosure agreement as is standard in these situations.

"BST advised Mr Disley, exactly as we have done with other interested parties in recent months, that fans will be satisfied with nothing short of the complete ending of any Oyston involvement in the ownership or running of our football club.

"Further information will be released as and when it is possible to do so."

Disley was jailed for four-and-a-half years for a £675,000 bank fraud. Preston Crown Court heard a gang, headed by Disley, targeted companies which were in financial difficulty, took them over and stripped them of their assets.

However, last year Disley’s conviction was later quashed at the Court of Appeal.

In December 2015, he was pictured with Dean Holdsworth at the time his company Sports Shield Consortium were launching their takeover of Bolton Wanderers.

Any involvement in the club was never confirmed.

In an interview with a national newspaper in 2010, Disley said he built his empire by running security on the doors of nightclubs in Manchester.

Representatives for Belokon told The Gazette the meeting with Oyston on July 4 went well and are hopeful the talks will help to bring about a resolution.

It is understood Oyston, who still owes £25m to Belokon following last year’s High Court judgement, travelled to Latvia with his daughter, club chairman Natalie Christopher, as well as Disley.

It appears Oyston persuaded Belokon to grant him 14 days - a deadline that expired on July 18 - to wrap up a deal that could go some way to repaying the debt.

In the meantime, the auctioning off of Oyston assets to raise funds had been put on hold.

The Oystons were ordered to buy out Belokon for £31.27m after it was found they had illegitimately stripped the club of cash following promotion to the Premier League in 2010.

Justice Marcus Smith found then that the Oystons had unfairly prejudiced the Latvian, who accused them of “improperly” extracting tens of millions of pounds from the club.

The judge found in his favour and the club was put up for sale four days later.