Owen Oyston expects 'investment' deal to be completed this week

The Gazette understands Blackpool Football Club owner Owen Oyston expects to have a deal wrapped up with a mystery investment group on Tuesday.

READ MORE: Owen Oyston claims agreement finalised with investment group

Owen Oyston pictured at Saturday's game at Bloomfield Road

Owen Oyston pictured at Saturday's game at Bloomfield Road

At Saturday’s game against Shrewsbury Town at Bloomfield Road, Oyston was reportedly telling people that an agreement was imminent and could be finalised as soon as tomorrow.

The identity of the investment group still remains unknown but it is believed Oyston will remain involved should a deal be completed.

This would be deeply unpopular among boycotting fans who have made it abundantly clear they will not return unless Oyston completely cuts ties with the club.

On April 6, Oyston released a statement through the club’s website claiming an investment group were interested in taking an "active" and "serious" financial involvement.

Oyston was reportedly telling people that an agreement was imminent at Saturday's game at Bloomfield Road

Oyston was reportedly telling people that an agreement was imminent at Saturday's game at Bloomfield Road

The statement said the group have a three-to-five-year plan for the club, with the “ultimate aim of regaining and sustaining Premier League status”.

“Well aware of the issues that have beset the club in recent years, the investment group is determined to build up a strong relationship with supporters and bring out the exciting potential of Blackpool Football Club once again,” the statement added.

Oyston said a further announcement would be made within two weeks, but it took almost three weeks for the latest update to be issued.

Last Thursday, a follow-up statement claimed an agreement would be finalised within the next three to five days.

Representatives for Valeri Belokon declined to comment on the situation when contacted by The Gazette last week

Representatives for Valeri Belokon declined to comment on the situation when contacted by The Gazette last week

Neither statement made any reference to what Oyston’s future involvement would be, although the second statement did state the agreement will provide an “immediate solution to the issues that currently surround the club”.

Representatives for Valeri Belokon declined to comment on the situation when contacted by The Gazette last week, although they did state they have no information on the investment group.

READ MORE: BST believes total takeover is the only option for Blackpool after latest Oyston statement

Reacting to Thursday’s second statement, Blackpool Supporters’ Trust chair Christine Seddon told The Gazette she would be surprised if the group would be willing to invest in the club alongside Oyston.

She said: “Whether this is just Owen putting a statement out to keep things alive, I don’t know. But what I am absolutely confident of is that this talk is about purchasing the club outright.

“No-one with any marbles whatsoever would want to invest with the Oystons still there – there’s just no chance.

“If someone is willing to invest alongside Owen, well, they’re mad and we’re in trouble. If you had done your due diligence and you knew the situation…

“After all, it’s a matter of court record how he’s treated business partners in the past, never mind the fact most of your customers won’t turn up. Why would you? It’s ridiculous.

“Interested parties, and there have been a number of them, have contacted BST to see how the fans feel. Every single one has only been interested in buying the club outright.

“Whatever happens it’s still a very frustrating situation. We’re all having to sit patiently to wait for this long, drawn out affair to end. That is all we can do.”