Neil McDonald wants as many as five new faces in the January transfer window.
The Seasiders boss is counting down the days until the market reopens on New Year’s Day, as he looks to strengthen his squad despite winning three games on the bounce.
McDonald has submitted a list of targets to chairman Karl Oyston and has revealed a ‘couple’ could be set for the Bloomfield Road exit.
The Gazette revealed last week Jose Cubero and Charles Dunne will both be made available in January, after failing to nail down places in the starting line-up.
McDonald met Pool’s Fans’ Progress Group (FPG) last week and outlined his recruitment plans.
“Our January targets have been submitted with a mix of younger and more experienced players,” the manager told the FPG.
“The process is under way with club secretary Nick Alford and Karl. I hope to recruit at least three, but I’d be happier with up to five.”
Blackpool sit four points clear of the League One drop zone after Saturday’s win against Peterborough at Bloomfield Road.
But McDonald told supporters he isn’t prepared to settle for that and wants new faces to boost his starting eleven.
He continued: “Players we bring in have to be able to go straight into the first team to strengthen it and not just come as squad players.
“We intend to allow two or three players to leave, and hopefully add a few more as well. “
The FPG is a newly formed group of supporters which aims to improve communication between the club and its supporters.
Chairman Oyston has maintained a year-long silence amid huge criticism of his running of the club, along with Pool’s relegation to the Championship last season.
While The Gazette were not present when FPG met with Oyston, the group released minutes of the meeting to us, in which Oyston insisted he will attempt to help McDonald as much as he can.
Oyston said: “The targets are realistic and are players I intend to try and recruit to strengthen the first team. We aim to ensure we have a sufficient number of players whose contracts don’t expire before the start of next season, to provide continuity and a stable platform to work from.
“Player contracts are now typically two years with a third year option, but that depends upon the players age and specifics, every deal is different.”
n Read the transcript of the fans’ progress group meeting on pages 46-47