MATCH REPORT: Stevenage 0-2 Blackpool

Bright Osayi-Samuel produced a stunning finish for his first goal for the club.
Bright Osayi-Samuel produced a stunning finish for his first goal for the club.
Share this article
Have your say

Bright Osayi-Samuel’s first professional goal helped Blackpool on their way to a smash and grab win at Stevenage as they saw off their fellow play-off hopefuls 2-0.

The teenager’s sublime second-half finish broke the deadlock in a tight and nervy game, with fellow substitute Mark Cullen taking advantage of poor defending to secure the vital win in the dying stages.

The home side enjoyed the majority of play in a game played in awful conditions at Broadhall Way, but the Seasiders were far more clinical and now move back into the League Two play-off spots.

Blackpool started the game on the front foot as they looked to press Stevenage high up the field, but they were unable to carve out any opportunities in the early stages of the game and the hosts soon got a foothold of the game.

The first opportunity came the host’s way as they began to settle into the match, with Sam Slocombe called into action to tip a Tom Pett effort around the post.

Harry McKirdy was then left alone at the back post but could only fire straight at Slocombe after Pool had failed to clear a free-kick into their box.

Brad Potts looked a constant threat with his pace on the counter-attack and the Stevenage defence were forced to be on the top of their game to force him out of the box after Kyle Vassell had played him in down the middle.

Potts then wasted another chance to test the 41-year-old goalkeeper Chris Day, but he blazed wastefully over the bar after Danny Philliskirk had found him in space.

The first half remained a fairly ugly affair, with both sides struggling to get to grips with the wet and windy conditions.

The wind almost caught Slocombe out after a free-kick, taken not far off the halfway line, almost dropped into the top corner but the Pool stopper did well to palm away.

Pool’s first shot on target didn’t come until the 35th minute, with Vassell only able to shoot straight at Day after getting on the end of Jamille Matt’s knockdown.

Despite being largely second best for most of the half, the best chance of a fairly dull opening period came the visitor’s way, but Matt was only able to prod wide at the near post from Kelvin Mellor’s cutback after Pool had worked the play well down Stevenage’s right.

Blackpool’s sluggish play continued into the start of the second half, with too many aimless forward punts bringing no joy for the Seasiders.

The play then became very stop-start with a number of breaks in play, with Andy Taylor among those to go down after suffering a bloodied nose.

Pool’s first chance of the second period fell Potts’ way once again, but he lashed wide after a quick one-two with Vassell.

Potts then found himself on the end of a teasing Andy Taylor cross but could only head narrowly over with a diving header.

Slocombe was again called into action to make a flying stop to keep out Fraser Frank’s driving effort from range.

It seemed a moment of magic would be what was required to break the deadlock, and that’s exactly what happened.

Bright Osayi-Samuel, who came on as a substitute, took a touch after the ball had been cleared from the box and produced a delightful side-footed effort into the bottom corner and beyond Day’s desperate dive.

One soon became two as fellow substitute Mark Cullen capitalised on poor defending from Dean Wells to drill home into the bottom corner.

Stevenage: Day, King, Franks, Wilkinson, Schumache, Pett, McKirdy (Godden), Wells, Lee (Liburd), Cowans (McAnuff), Henry

Subs not used: Preston, Gorman, Tonge, Kerr

Blackpool: Slocombe, Mellor, Aldred, Robertson, Taylor, Philliskirk (Osayi-Samuel), Payne, Pugh, Potts, Vassell (McAlister), Matt (Cullen)

Subs not used: Lyness, Nolan, Aimson, Yeates

Referee: John Brooks

Attendance: 2,513 (424)