MATCH REPORT: Shrewsbury (p) 0-0 Blackpool

Raul Correia in action on his Blackpool debut
Raul Correia in action on his Blackpool debut

Blackpool were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy at the third round stage with a penalty shootout defeat to Shrewsbury Town.

The two sides were unable to be separated during the 90 minutes, with both sides exchanging good sides to win it in regulation time only for the tie to end goalless.

It meant Blackpool entered a penalty shootout for the second time running, having seen off Mansfield Town on spot kicks in the second round.

But this time they weren’t so fortunate, with Shrewsbury winning it 4-2 on penalties - Danny Philliskirk and Rowan Roache missing for the Seasiders.

Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer caused something of a surprise with his team selection as he opted to make eight changes to his side - handing debuts to Joe Lumley and Raul Correia.

For Correia, it was his first start in a Blackpool shirt having signed from non-league outfit Radcliffe Borough in January of last year.

Lumley, meanwhile, took the number one jersey just two days after sealing a loan deal with the Seasiders from Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers.
Elsewhere, Will Aimson, Nick Anderton, Jimmy Ryan, Callum Cooke, Danny Philliskirk and Scott Quigley all came into the side.
Jim McAlister came off the bench in the second half for what was his first appearance in 11 months, having been out injured since fracturing his tibia in the 1-1 draw against Colchester United in February of last year.

With just five minutes on the clock, Blackpool were given a priceless chance to take the lead.

The ball reached Scott Quigley unmarked at the back post, but he saw his first effort saved by Dean Henderson before his second was blocked by a defender. The ball eventually fell for Correia who blazed over the bar.

Lumley got down well to make an early stop to deny the dangerous Stefan Payne, who had looked to side foot an effort into the bottom corner.

The end-to-end nature of the early exchanges continued as the Seasiders went close again. This time it was Sessi D’Almeida who made a trademark run through the middle only to send his shot straight at Henderson.

Shrewsbury hit back with another clear opportunity of their own, as Blackpool allowed Max Lowe to run unopposed into their box before he slid in Payne who was denied by Lumley for a second time.

The home side had the ball in the back of the net on 26 minutes when Bryn Morris’ free-kick evaded everyone in the box and nestled into the far corner, but referee Chris Sarginson ruled it out for a push.

Payne was then denied by Lumley for a third time when his snapshot was well blocked by the QPR loanee.

Shrewsbury hit the woodwork from the resulting corner, with the ball reaching Lenell John-Lewis at the back post but he could only head against the crossbar from close range.

Shrewsbury continued to see plenty of success playing slide-rule balls in behind the Blackpool defence. One of these passes reached John-Lewis, but Lumley made his mind up early to rush out and deny the striker.

An entertaining and open first half was brought to a close with Blackpool creating a promising two-against-two situation in attack, but it broke down when Quigley opted to cut inside rather than shoot and was eventually crowded out.

Correia had a quiet first half but he went close to breaking the deadlock just four minutes into the second period.

The forward decided to have a go with a dipping volley but Henderson flew across his goal to claw it away from the top corner.

Correia was presented with another gilt-edged opportunity to mark his debut with a goal, but he could only blaze wastefully over the bar when the ball fell for him kindly inside the Shrewsbury box.

Lumley denied Payne for a fourth time but on this occasion he didn’t know much about it, as the striker’s low, drilled effort squirmed through his hands before trickling just wide of the far post.

The game soon fizzled out into something of a drab affair, with both sides cancelling each other out as they struggled to create any clear-cut openings.

But Blackpool had a great chance to win it in injury time when the ball fell to Nick Anderton inside the box but the defender could only stab wide of goal.

Instead, the tie was decided on spot kicks and it was Lenell John-Lewis who struck the decisive blow to send Shrewsbury through to the quarter finals.

Shrewsbury: Henderson, Riley, Lowe, Nsiala, Agogo, Dodds, Gnahoua (Rodman), Bolton, John-Lewis, Morris, Payne

Subs not used: MacGillivray, Morris, Hughes, McAtee, Barnett, Shelis

Blackpool: Lumley, Turton, Aimson, Tilt, Anderton, Ryan, D'Almeida (McAlister), Cooke, Philliskirk, Quigley (Delfouneso), Correia (Roache)

Subs not used: Mafoumbi, Mellor, Daniel

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Attendance: 1,362 (85 Blackpool)