Match report: Plymouth Argyle 1 Blackpool 3

Blackpool celebrate Jimmy Ryan's goal
Blackpool celebrate Jimmy Ryan's goal

Blackpool scored two goals in the final 20 minutes of the match to secure the three points at a soaked Home Park.

Colin Daniel had given the Seasiders the lead after just two minutes, before Sonny Bradley levelled just after half-time.

Ryan Edwards was dismissed for the Pilgrims before Jimmy Ryan and sub Nathan Delfouneso secured the points for the Seasiders.

Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer has named an unchanged side for tonight’s trip to Plymouth Argyle, with Kyle Vassell set to lead the line alone once again.

The positive news for the Seasiders is the return of top scorer Sean Longstaff and Nathan Delfouneso to the bench after missing Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Scunthorpe through injury and illness respectively.

Longstaff’s availability will come as a huge boost to Bowyer, with the Newcastle loanee having scored in each of his four games prior to Saturday’s goalless draw.

Pool started in scintillating fashion at Home Park. Having seen a corner easily dealt with, they sustained the pressure on the Pilgrims and Daniel’s shot deflected off Gary Miller to completely wrong-foot Luke McCormick and put the visitors ahead.

Pool continued their early pressure as first Viv Solomon-Otabor saw an effort saved when well placed, then Kyle Vassell’s header was grabbed on the line by McCormick with the Pilgrims struggling to deal with the Seasiders’ constant waves of attack.

There was some concern on 10 minutes when Pool keeper Ryan Allsop went down under a heavy challenge from Nadir Ciftci but thankfully he was OK to continue.

Argyle struggled to get going on a horrible night in Devon, with the visitors seemingly flourishing in the terrible conditions, but the Pilgrims did brighten up towards the end of the half.

There was almost an equaliser against the run of play on the half-hour, when Nathan Blissett got his head to a dangerous looking free-kick but his effort ballooned over the bar when he rally should have levelled the score.

The Pilgrims threatened again shortly after, when Yann Songo’o’s acrobatic effort wasn’t too far from nestling in Allsop’s goal but the Seasiders remained in front.

As the half-time whistle sounded Derek Adams’ side had definitely upped their tempo but Gary Bowyer’s side men were still in front.

It was the hosts who started the second half in the same fashion as they ended the first, pressing the easiders.

Bradley almost forced the ball home after a dangerous cross but the pressure was building from the Pilgrims.

Ciftci did well to find some space in the Blackpool area and keeper Allsop did well to turn his effort behind for a corner.

But the inevitable eventually happened and Bradley forced the corner into the net and Argyle were deservedly level.

With the Seasiders struggling to make an impact in the second half, the Pilgrims continued to look for the third goal and they certainly looked the more likely of the two sides.

Bowyer reacted to the onslaught by restoring Longstaff to first team action with just over 30 minutes left of play.

The Seasiders managed to weather the storm before the tide of the match changed dramatically with 65 minutes played.

With the rain still pouring, Vassell broke away for Blackpool before being upended by Ryan Edwards, who was dismissed for a second yellow card.

And that decision proved crucial for the Seasiders as they regained the lead just five minutes later.

Skipper Jimmy Ryan picked the ball up 20 yards from goal and his low drive beat McCormick to put Blackpool ahead once again.

Bowyer’s men continued to press thereafter, with Argyle struggling to cope with the Seasiders’ attacks.

The game was wrapped up with five minutes left of play as sub Nathan Delfouneso broke away, and coolly found the net from the edge of the area, to give Blackpool the points.

The wins sees Blackpool rise into the play-off zone for the first time this season as their unbeaten run stretches to six games.

Blackpool: Allsop, Turton, Tilt, Robertson, Daniel, Mellor, Ryan, D’Almeida (Longstaff 57), Cooke, Solomon-Otabor (Delfouneso 77), Vassell (Quigley 90)

Plymouth: McCormick, Miller, Edwards, Bradley, Sawyer, Fox, Songo’o, Ness, Blissett (Jervis 69), Ciftci (Fletcher 81), Grant (Wylde 62)