Manager situation needs sorting

Steve Thompson
Steve Thompson
Have your say

STEVE Thompson has called for a quick end to the managerial uncertainly at Bloomfield Road.

The caretaker boss watched his side lose 2-1 to Championship leaders Cardiff on Saturday, leaving them without a win in eight games.

They remain managerless 10 days after Michael Appleton jumped ship to join Blackburn, and Thompson said this is just one of the issues to be resolved urgently at the club.

Thompson said: “There are big decisions to be made at the club. There’s speculation about some of the lads in the first team, which needs sorting out.

“There are players behind the squad here who are never going to make an impact at Blackpool. We need players to come in and freshen things up. This all needs sorting out pretty quickly.”

The Seasiders put up a good fight against Malky Mackay’s Bluebirds, who now sit 10 points clear at the top of the Championship. Gary Taylor-Fletcher headed Pool level on the hour only for Tommy Smith to strike the winner four minutes later.

Pool’s plans were rocked when four players pulled out ill on Saturday morning, including three of Thompson’s first-choice back four.

Neal Eardley had tonsillitis, while skipper Alex Baptiste, Stephen Crainey and Kevin Phillips were all struck down by a virus overnight.

Thompson said: “We didn’t get off to the best of starts on Saturday morning.”

“Phil Horner (physio) rang me at half ten to say three players had come down with the virus, and we knew about Neal Eardley already.

“I had to ring (coach) John Murphy to pull people out of training that morning to go on my bench. It’s not ideal at all.”

The blow just about summed up Blackpool’s luck at the moment and Thompson admitted nothing seems to be going their way.

He said: “The way things are going here at the moment, it was just a normal day.

“You do all the set plays and work on the shape, but you can’t legislate for three of your back four phoning in sick.

“Every week there seems to be something at the moment. Somewhere along the line we are surely due a change of luck.

“The lads who came in did well. No-one let us down.”

The biggest talking point of the first half on Saturday was referee Michael Naylor’s decision not to award Pool what looked a blatant penalty.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s cross struck the arm of Cardiff’s Mark Hudson only for claims to be waved away.

Thompson said: “It was a big decision. It was so blatant. It’s wrong that these decisions aren’t going our way.”

Saturday’s game was Pool’s fifth in front of the Sky TV cameras this season, with each of them ending in defeat.

And maybe the spotlight added to the frustration which spread to the touchline, when Thompson and Cardiff boss Malky Mackey exchanged angry words near the end.

The Pool caretaker boss said: “The red mist came down a little bit. These things happen in football.

“Things happen out on the sidelines and I lost my temper a little. It was just two passionate managers wanting their side to do well.

“I had a drink with Malkey afterwards and everything was sorted, as it should be.”