Liverpool could hijack Cardiff move for Ince

Tom Ince
Tom Ince
0
Have your say

Liverpool could still hijack Cardiff’s signing of Tom Ince after Blackpool accepted the Premier League newcomers’ bid for their star winger.

The Anfield club have until this afternoon to match Cardiff’s bid of around £8m plus add-ons, which Pool accepted on Saturday.

Under the terms of the deal when Ince joined Pool from Liverpool two years ago, the Merseysiders have 48 hours to match any bid accepted for the 21-year-old.

Even if the Reds don’t block Cardiff’s move, Pool manager Paul Ince says it is far from certain that his son will join the Welsh club. The Seasiders boss confirmed: “Cardiff have come in massively for Thomas and the chairman has accepted their offer.

“When he comes back (next Monday), we’ll sit down and see what we want to do. He loves it here and has told me he’s in no rush to leave the club.”

The Blackpool manager is keen to see his son move to the right club and a switch to Cardiff is by no means a done deal.

Ince senior added: “I think it’s 50/50 at the moment if he’ll stay or not. It’s a tough one for me. I want my son playing in the Premier League but I also want him here playing for me.

“He’ll be back in with us on July 8.”

The manager flew back with the rest of the Pool squad late last night from their training camp in Portugal.

Tom Ince was excused the trip in order to rest after playing for England in last month’s European U21 Championships in Israel.

He fired 18 goals for the Seasiders last term and speculation about his future has been rife for months. Ince is one of only 13 senior professionals currently on Pool’s books.

With the season less than five weeks away, they are yet to make any new signings and have re-signed only one (Barry Ferguson) of seven out-of-contract players offered new deals (four of those have definitely moved on).

Manager Ince admitted: “I’ve never really been in a situation like this. It shows what a massive rebuild this is going to be.

“You usually have the bulk of a squad to work with but here with need eight or nine.”

Three or four players are expected at Bloomfield Road in the next 24 hours for talks with the manager.

Pool are reported to have bid for Leeds midfielder Ross McCormack, a deal worth as much as £1m.

They have also seen a bid accepted for Mk Dons defender Gary MacKenzie, although talks over personal terms have stalled at the moment.

It’s been a lively few days at Blackpool, following Sky Sports’ claim on Friday that manager Ince had offered to resign. Chairman Karl Oyston denied this and Ince also played the story down.

He said: “My relationship with the chairman is fantastic, it’s second to none.

“The relationship between me and Karl is great. We have different opinions.

“We won’t always agree on everything. We can agree on most things but never on everything.

“That’s part of the relationship we have.”