Paul Ince admits he has a “horrible” week ahead of him.
The Blackpool boss will start one-on-one meetings with out-of-contract players tomorrow to inform them whether they have a future at the club.
He has a decision to make on as many as 37 of his squad and has promised to have spoken to all of them ahead of Saturday’s final match at Bolton.
Yesterday’s Gazette revealed that talks have already started with Ludo Sylvestre, and it’s understood a number of senior players have also been spoken to.
It gives Ince a chance to build his own squad ahead of next season but he admits the next few days will be tough.
“It going to be a horrible week for me,” he said. “I’ll have to tell some people that I don’t want them and give them the chance to move on.
“But also it’s a great week as I can build a club now. When you come into a club in the situation we were it’s hard.
“Now we are safe I can sit down and get the core players sorted.
“Football’s football, there will be players coming and going. But there’s not a lot to change here – I don’t want to dismantle the whole team.
“We have a great core here, and I want to keep them here and build around it.”
Nine players, including Alex Baptiste, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Sylvestre, would be able to walk away from Bloomfield Road this summer should no deal be agreed.
Tom Barkhuizen, Adam Dodd and goalkeepers Mark Halstead and Chris Kettings are also out of contract but won’t be free to leave if Pool offer them improved terms because they are under 24.
Pool secured their place in next season’s Championship with Saturday’s 2-1 win over Derby.
It means they can go into the Bolton game relaxed and boss Ince can get on with planning the future.
He said: “It’s great that I can build, have a full pre-season and implement my style of football.
“We’ll have a new pitch but it’s not just about the football – it’s the mindset and mentality I want to give the players.
“People ask what’s Paul Ince’s team all about. Well, it’s a team that wants to play football but also will get their hands dirty.
“They have done that since I’ve been here and that’s why we’ve stayed up.
“But what I can do now is build. I went to MK Dons to build a team and we won the double. There’s no reason why I can do that here.”
Meanwhile, under 300 tickets remain on general sale for Saturday’s visit to Bolton.
Pool were originally allocated 2,313 for the Reebok Stadium clash only to be given an extra 900 last week.
Bolton need a win to guarantee a place in the promotion play-offs.
Pool’s deals to seal:
Blackpool players out of contract with no option for next 12 months
Tom Barkhuizen (Under 24)
Adam Dodd (U24)
Mark Halstead (U24)
Chris Kettings (U24)
Players out of contract with 12-month option
Players already under contract for next season
Loan players set to return to parent club