Huddersfield 4 Blackpool 2

David Perkins
David Perkins
Share this article
Have your say

Blackpool turned in their worst display of the season on an afternoon to forget against Huddersfield.

Winger Harry Bunn scored twice in five minutes early on as the Terriers went three up inside 16 minutes and it could have been 6-0 before half-time but for excellent saves from Blackpool keeper Joe Lewis.

Two goals in first-half stoppage time for the visitors threatened to turn the game on its head. But Huddersfield clung on to register their third win in four unbeaten matches as their climb up the table continues.

Striker Grant Holt put Town on their way on four minutes with his first goal in four games for the club after joining on loan from Wigan.

Conor Coady crossed from the right and Holt’s scruffy header went over the line despite the efforts of Lewis and a defender to keep it out.

Winger Sean Scannell then set up Bunn twice for goals after tormenting Blackpool’s Joel Dielna.

Jonathan Hogg and Tommy Smith combined to put Scannell in behind Dielna on 11 minutes and his low byline cross was tapped in by Bunn.

Scannell left Dielna for dead on another romp to the byline on 16 minutes that ended with Bunn curling a shot over Lewis.

Dielna was replaced by Jeffrey Rentmeister soon after in what seemed to be a tactical switch aimed at shutting down the livewire Scannell.

Lewis, on loan from Cardiff, kept the score down by blocking two goal-bound headers from Holt and also saved with his legs on 40 minutes to deny Scannell.

Blackpool’s first chance came on 32 minutes when Nathan Delfouneso headed a Tony McMahon cross wide.

But they had done little to suggest a comeback was on the cards when the Tangerines suddenly scored twice in quick succession at the end of the first half.

McMahon curled a free-kick low around the wall and into the bottom right corner in first-half stoppage time after a foul by Mark Hudson on Formose Mendy.

Then a long punt by former Huddersfield skipper Peter Clarke was flicked on by Ishmael Miller for Donervon Daniels to rifle home.

Huddersfield had chances early in the second half through Jacob Butterfield twice and Scannell to the extend their lead.

Delfouneso twice fluffed chances to equalise at the other end when Blackpool caught Town on the break.

The result was put beyond doubt on 61 minutes when a Smith long ball into the box was only half cleared and Butterfield lashed a 20-yarder into the bottom left corner.

There was though plenty of time left for drama. Blackpool’s John Lundstram shot from distance on 77 minutes sparked a bizarre incident.

Town keeper Alex Smithies appeared to have caught the ball but then spilled it onto his own post before scrambling a recovery under pressure from attackers.

An ugly melee broke out on 87 minutes after Hogg and Jacob Mellis squared off following a late lunge by the Huddersfield midfielder.

Scannell could have had the last word but hit the post from a tight angle after a jinking stoppage time run into the box.