Honours were even admits Blackpool hero Robertson

Clark Robertson   Picture: CameraSport
Clark Robertson Picture: CameraSport
Share this article

Blackpool were unable to pick up back-to-back home wins but goalscorer Clark Robertson had no complaints about the draw with Southend United.

Don’t miss the latest football news and gossip from leagues in England, Scotland and Europe with footballwire.co.uk
The Seasiders, who had beaten Charlton Athletic in midweek, maintained their seven-point gap above League One’s bottom four with a 1-1 draw in Arctic conditions at Bloomfield Road on Saturday.

Southend had the better of the opening period and took an early lead through Marc Antoine Fortune only for Robertson to level on the stroke of half-time with a close-range effort.

Blackpool were the better side in the second half but couldn’t add a second as they found Southend keeper Mark Oxley in fine form.

Robertson accepted the game wasn’t the most entertaining of spectacles due to the weather, so it was a case of accepting the draw to keep their points tally ticking over.

He said: “The goal came on the stroke of half-time, which put them on a downer going into the interval.

“It just fell to me inside the six-yard box. I sort of scuffed it in but I’ll take that all day long.

“Danny (Philliskirk) thought his shot had gone in but there’s no chance. I thought second half we came out on the front foot.

“They weren’t the best conditions but we still tried to play football.

“Their keeper made a great double save to deny us but they also hit the post towards the end, so maybe 1-1 was a fair result.

“Their keeper had a great kick on him as well, which made it hard to judge.

“I thought we dealt with it well and limited them to just a few chances.

“It probably wasn’t the best game to watch but we’ll take the point and move on.”

Robertson was left unhappy by referee Andy Haines’ decision not to send off Simon Cox in the first half, after the striker fouled Curtis Tilt while already on a booking.

Cox was then hauled off by his Shrimpers manager Chris Powell at half-time.

The defender added: “If he hadn’t already been booked, I’m pretty sure the referee would have given him a yellow card for that.

“I don’t really want to say too much about the referee but Cox probably should have been sent off, which would have given us a better chance of winning the game.

“There would have been more space for us to exploit.

“With 11 men they made it quite compact by packing the midfield and they didn’t allow us to play through them. That could have changed.”