Fergie time comes to the rescue for Pool

Blackpool's David Ferguson
Blackpool's David Ferguson
Share this article
Have your say

David Ferguson says his equaliser against Nottingham Forest in the seventh minute of stoppage time was “unbelievable”.

The 20-year-old came off the bench to head home a Jamie O’Hara corner and seal a 4-4 draw on a crazy afternoon at Bloomfield Road.

And the defender, signed from Sunderland last month, says he will remember his home debut for Pool forever.

“For it to end like it did was unbelievable,” he beamed. “I was going to go back for the corner but I just thought, ‘It’s the last minute, so I’ll stay up.’

“I was at the back stick, and I got away and never broke my stride. It was a perfect cross.

“I’ll never forget that incredible game. I couldn’t have asked for anything like that.”

It was Ferguson’s first goal in professional football and he added: “I didn’t know what to do. I thought about taking my top off.

“In the end I just ran to Jamie and blew a kiss to my mum and dad in the stands.”

The left-back had to be patient for a second chance after his baptism of fire in senior football in the 7-2 defeat at Watford three weeks earlier.

“My welcome to the Football League has been unbelievable really,” he added. “I needed a break in football and I really feel this is the right club for me.

“Any chance I get, even in training every day, I am putting in 110 per cent to prove to the gaffer I should be playing.”

Pool led 2-0 and 3-2 against Forest only to fall 4-3 behind in the fifth minute of stoppage-time, but Ferguson still felt they would rescue a point.

“I never thought we were beaten,” he said. “It was that sort of game where you knew we still had another goal in us.

“With the position we are in we can’t ever give up. We have to keep going. We’ll need that sort of spirit now.

“I know our away form isn’t the best but we need to take that sort of courage and pride into the next game (at Blackburn). It’s so important to fight right to the end.”